Replacing Rotten Floors Under Retaining Walls - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-06-2011, 10:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Replacing rotten floors under retaining walls

Hello everyone. I needed some advice please. I recently bought a house that I knew had "some water damage". The home had three water leaks and the entire floor in four different rooms needs to be replaced due to both water damage and termite damage. The majority of the floor is now removed to the joists. Aside from a few joists that need to be replaced, the joists are in good shape. They are also level.

Between these rooms is a retaining wall that is sagging despite the level joists. The sag appears to be due the rotten subfloor, as the wall crosses the joists and therefore should be supported by the joists. There is approximately a one inch dip where the wall sits on the floor. The wall itself is in good shape and does not need repair.

The home is about 60 years old and has layers of old linoleum and masonite over any remaining floor that can be salvaged.

So far I have:

1: Stripped the rotten flooring down to the joists

2: jacked up any wall sections that may be compromised because of the flooring removal including a bathroom wall and an air-conditioner closet

3: removed all old linoleum and masonite. This brought the floor down to the original subfloor and floor with asbestos tile work. The subfloor is cinematch with a layer of plywood over it.

4: Supported the damaged joists with a makeshift support "sill" made out of three 2x6s and held up by three 12 ton jacks and metal plates

5: Supported the retaining wall by making a crossbrace with 3 2x6s and positioning it between the joists. It is held in place by a steel plate and a 20 ton bottle jack

I do not know how to replace the flooring under the retaining wall!! Because of the joists (22 in apart), I am having a hard time maneuvering both jacks and work space. It is possible to place crossbraces under the wall section, jack up the existing floor to level, leave the crossbraces in place, and place a new support pier underneath without taking out the rotten wood?

Any advice would be appreciated. I have replaced floors before but never had to deal with this type of issue. Both the water issue and the termite issue have both been resolved by the way.

Thanks.

Elizabeth

Advertisement

babet_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:14 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,064

Hi!

Welcome to "DIY"!

Post some pictures.

rossfingal

Advertisement

rossfingal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:36 AM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,280

Yes--pictures---even if you need to hire a teenager to show you how!!