Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-10-2010, 07:16 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Replacing only the floor under tub

In the near future I am going to be ripping my tub out and replacing it. I have had issues with leaking for years, even before I owned the place. I only want to take the tub and surrounding walls out, not the tile floor in the rest of the bathroom.

The wall with the plumbing in it backs up to my closet so I cut a piece of the wall out to look under the tub and see what I got. I can see that the plywood around the cutout for the tub drain is pretty crappy, the plies are separated and I can bend it downwards pretty far, it's rotted pretty good.

This plywood flooring goes under the bottom plate of the walls. If I wanted to replace the entire piece of plywood under the tub, how do I go about it?

The damage only seems to be around the cutout for the drain, the rest seems OK.

Remember, I would have to cut it out along the front of the tub (since the tile is staying) and out from under each bottom plate.

Is it worth replacing it? Or should I just put the new tub on top since the joists underneath it are taking the weight? I will be installing a cast iron receptor, FWIW. It's a 30" X 60" stall shower base that fits right into the place where a tub was. Since it doesn't fill with water it will be lighter than if it were a tub. The receptor itself will weigh 200 lbs.

Thanks!

Last edited by Lockeset; 10-10-2010 at 07:19 AM.
Lockeset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 08:24 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

If the wood is bad just around the drain, replace the wood just around the drain.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 08:33 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
If the wood is bad just around the drain, replace the wood just around the drain.
Ron
What do I use to support it? I have a joist on one side that I can have it half overlap. But on the tile side and the two wall sides the existing plywood goes under the bottom plates of the walls. If I cut it flush with the bottom plates there won't be anything underneath it to support the new piece.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:41 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockeset View Post
What do I use to support it? I have a joist on one side that I can have it half overlap. But on the tile side and the two wall sides the existing plywood goes under the bottom plates of the walls. If I cut it flush with the bottom plates there won't be anything underneath it to support the new piece.
You add blocking where you need the support.
Ron
Old 10-10-2010, 08:45 AM   #5

Quote:
You add blocking where you need the support.
Ron
What do I attach the blocking to? There are hollow areas underneath the bottom plate and plywood flooring, both on the wet wall and the outside wall.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockeset View Post
What do I attach the blocking to? There are hollow areas underneath the bottom plate and plywood flooring, both on the wet wall and the outside wall.
You attach the blocking to the floor framing. If this is beyond your scope, hire someone to do the structural work. If you want to attempt it, get a simple framing book and do some research.
Ron
Old 10-10-2010, 10:50 AM   #7

Quote:
You attach the blocking to the floor framing. If this is beyond your scope, hire someone to do the structural work. If you want to attempt it, get a simple framing book and do some research.
Ron
The joists (the floor framing) is a few inches underneath the plywood floor and bottom plate of the wet wall. If I cut the existing plywood floor even with the bottom plate, it won't leave me anything to attach blocking to. The same thing with the outside wall, the rim joist is underneath the bottom plate.

So what I am asking is what I would attach blocking to?

The only thing I can see doing is running a couple of 14.5" 2X10's from one joist to another under where the replacement floor would be. I would have to toe nail them unless there is a way to get a clip in there that wouldn't make the height of the joist higher than the existing joists.