Replacing Old Weighted Window Options - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-29-2008, 04:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 85

Replacing old weighted window options

What are my options for replacing the old weighted windows from 1939 that are in my house?

There are 13 double hung, 1 fixed, and 1 large one with sliders at either end in the kitchen.

Would it be a job I can tackle myself with help (mechanically inclined) or should I leave it to professionals ($$$)?

Thanks

Advertisement

jimmyfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 06:31 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 526

Depending some on what else is involved. What kind of siding is on house? IF your planning on replacing that too, use a new construction window with nailing fins. IF you dont want to mess up any outside and inside finishes,,,use replacement windows. Replacements are generally more expensive. and single hungs are more energy effiecient than double hungs but harder to wash. Are ALL the windows easy to access fom outside?? for washing?Any second story windows avoid the tall ladder. I dont like casements because of hardware failures(try to buy replacement parts for anything 20 years old) YOUR the boss but think long down the road. IF your old windows rattles as bad aas mine did,,yes replace them... Make sure you properly insulate the cavity where the weights are,,otherwise its a drafty hole.

Advertisement

4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 09:34 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,502

There are replacements, that when you remove the Window Panels, they will slip in. Only drawback is, you will have to fill the cavities that the weights where in with Insulation. Plus side is, no heavy construction, and you keep the old look of the Window Frames.
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 07:06 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 256

Marvin makes a replacement kit for this kind of job. They call it Tilt Pac. They work well and are pretty easy to diy if you have a little skill and patience. The kit comes with jambs and sash. When you are done you have a spring loaded jamb and tilt windows. Marvin sells some high end(=expensive) windows, but I don't remember if the Tilt Pacs are as costly as their premium stuff.
7echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 08:30 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

just wanted to add, it could be my thick head but took me a bit to understand how to measure for the replacement windows. once ordered, they frown about taking them back. and as others said, insulate the cavity, I didn't have the weights but had space there.
DUDE! is offline   Reply With Quote