Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-22-2007, 02:29 PM   #1

Share |

Replacing Kitchen Cabinet Door Hinges

I am removing my kitchen cabinet doors to paint my cabinets. They are currently stained. In the process I am going to replace the hinges. What do I fill the existing holes with so that the holes will not show? I'm assuming the new hinges (I have not bought yet) will not line up with the old. Even if they did would you put a new screw into the old hole?

Also any tips for making sure the doors are re-installed straight?

Thanks
Eric_ht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 02:32 PM   #2

I don't know why you are replacing hinges but I just painted my cabinets and sprayed the hinges with chrome auto paint. If it's just a color change you want it's worth a try.
Concordseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 10:38 PM   #3
Cabinet Installer

I think new hardware is often a good investment. Personally I like the concealed hinges. They may present more of a challenge for you than you want to attempt. as for filling the holes I use Bondo, just like you would use for auto body repair. It dries fast and hard and is sand-able. Of course you will need to sand each door. As far as getting the doors on straight, I recommend you measure your overlay on your doors and drawers and record it. That is the amount the face is larger than the opening or in other words the amount it over lays the face frame of your cabinet. Knowing this will make your installation much simpler. Your side to side overlay is determined by the hinge you purchase. Cut a few blocks to use as templates. Locate the position of the bottom hinge on the door. Cut a block to mark the hinge position the same each time. Install the bottom Hinge on each door. I then Cut another block that I can place under the bottom hinge in the cabinet to get door at the right height each time I attach it to the face frame. That block will be the one you use to determine your top and bottom overlay. After I know I have the size of that block cut accurately I hold it against the top of the opening and install the top hinge on the face frame in all the cabinet openings. Now I have the bottom hinge on the door an the top hinge in the cabinet. Now I take my block and rest the bottom hinge and door on it and attach it to the face frame. I then align the door and top hinge and screw them together.

Now that I have typed all that it sounds a lot more complicated than it actually is. Keeping them straight is a lot easier than keeping them at the right height.

Good Luck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dansbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 12:42 AM   #4

You can use specialized devices such as Bessey KBK2440 Cabinet Door Parallel Jaw Bar Clamp Kit.you can buy it online.
dilysho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 07:42 AM   #5

Don't let concealed hinges intimidate you because the don't look like any hinge you've ever seen before. They are easy to put in, and have much more adjustment than a more conventional hinge.

www.rockler.com has Blum brand hinges for about $5/pair, as well as some very informative literature on their website about selecting the right hinge for your application.

If your cabinets are painted, bondo works best. If they're stained, wood putty is fine...Just get putty to match.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote