Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-09-2011, 08:46 PM   #1

Share |

Replacing HC Doors with Solids (?)

Our house was built in 1987, and stained hollow-core doors were used in the interior -- total of 11. We've been gradually upgrading the house, and one thing I would like to do is replace the HC doors with solid doors. I know that I can buy prehung solid doors, which would probably be easy to change out one at a time. However, I'm a bit dubious about staining the new units to match the old stain; plus, the price of just the doors is quite a bit less. I've never mounted a blank door before, so just what should I expect if I take that route? I know I'll have to mortise the jamb for a third hinge, and mortise/drill the door. Should I be concerned about the jamb supporting the additional weight of the solid door? If so, what could I do about it?

Thanks in advance,

Bart

PPBART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:24 PM   #2

when I lived in western ny there was a millwork place that would cut the hinge mortises in the new doors to match the ones in your old doors using your old door as the template. we changed all the doors in a house that was done that way and we only had minor adjusting and fitting to do. with heavy solid doors I always use at least one 3 inch screw in each hinge, that should get you into a stud behind the jamb.

DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:25 PM   #3

Far faster to just install a prehung door and less likly to have a hindge miss alined, of mortised wrong.
By the time you mortise and drill one door I could have hung three new ones.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:46 PM   #4

Hanging doors requires accuracy and a skill set. Hanging just the slab, eliminates much of the work, but requires exacting precision. They sell hinge template tools that will make the job easier. You might even be able to rent them. They will transfer the hinge setup from the old door to the new one. The mortises will be done with a router.
I'm sure You Tube will have a video about it. Check it out to see if this is an option you'd like to persue.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:47 AM   #5

To hang just a slab will require you to bore for a lock set and have the hole exactly right or the locks latch will not catch, if the hindges are off even by 1/8 inch your going to spend another 1/2 hours trying to correct that. To use a hingle mortis template your also going to have to have a trim router and a special bit.
If you buy split jam prehung doors it's pretty much slide it in place, check for plumb on the hindge side and finish nail in place. (far better to have a pneumatic trim gun then trying to hand nail)
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:50 AM   #6
jschaben

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Far faster to just install a prehung door and less likly to have a hindge miss alined, of mortised wrong.
By the time you mortise and drill one door I could have hung three new ones.
This really true joe?? Time you remove trim and old door and frame, install and square up the new prehung assembly, retrim and fix/paint/ whatever... seems to be a stretch to me.

As far as matching/copying mortises, one of these guys takes a lot of guesswork out and with a bunch of doors to hang looks like a well place $70.
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...19&cat=1,43000

"Where all think alike, no one is thinking very much"
jschaben is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jschaben For This Useful Post:
Big Stud (12-10-2011), Ron6519 (12-10-2011)
Old 12-10-2011, 08:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschaben View Post
...Time you remove trim and old door and frame, install and square up the new prehung assembly, retrim and fix/paint/ whatever... seems to be a stretch to me.

As far as matching/copying mortises, one of these guys takes a lot of guesswork out...
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...19&cat=1,43000
While I do agree that it would probably be "Far faster to just install a prehung door and less likly to have a hindge miss alined, of mortised wrong", I rather doubt the three to one ratio claim. But even if true, time will not be the deciding factor. I'm retired with plenty of time to spend on the project and no deadlines to meet -- I could do one door a week and be happy about the progress. I'm more interested in minimizing damage to the existing trim and avoiding noticeable mismatch in the trim finish.

I'm leaning toward buying the blank doors. Thanks to all for the comments, and thanks for the link above -- that (or some equivalent) does look like a worthwhile purchase.
PPBART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 01:52 PM   #8
Crusty Old Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPBART View Post
While I do agree that it would probably be "Far faster to just install a prehung door and less likly to have a hindge miss alined, of mortised wrong", I rather doubt the three to one ratio claim. But even if true, time will not be the deciding factor. I'm retired with plenty of time to spend on the project and no deadlines to meet -- I could do one door a week and be happy about the progress. I'm more interested in minimizing damage to the existing trim and avoiding noticeable mismatch in the trim finish.

I'm leaning toward buying the blank doors. Thanks to all for the comments, and thanks for the link above -- that (or some equivalent) does look like a worthwhile purchase.
I agree. You can do this project just as you describe. Just be very careful when measuring and double check every thing! Make sure your new door matches your opening before cutting hinge mortises, if the header of the jamb is not square, you must cut the door to match. Also in case you aren't aware of this, you will need to have a 3 degree bevel on the latch side of the door to make it shut properly. I cut a bevel on both sides of my doors to give the hinges clearance. I never have a door that binds when you shut it that way, even after many coats of paint. Careful drilling thos handle holes too, a lock drilling jig/ kit goes a long way twards less headaches here. You don't have to buy the tools, you can rent the ones you will only use for this job. Good luck and keep us posted. I, for one would love to hear of your success in this endeavor,
Old 12-10-2011, 02:04 PM   #9
journeyman carpenter

replacing the entire door frame and slab with a prehung can be faster.however in my experience hanging doors i find prehungs are getting more and more sloppily made.. hinges are mortised correcetly, header lengths are too long making for a huge margin on the latch side.. ive been builindg my own jambs for almost every new dooor i hang.. pre hungs are only used when on a tight budget or if its for a oddspo in the house

another problem you can run into with prehungs is requiring to patch the flloring where the old jamb was is never 100% that the new jamb will be exactly where the old one was sitting on the floor.which will leave gaps in the flooring. also theres no guarentee that your old trim will come off in one peice or even go back on and look good.... replacing doors on an existing jamb isnt that big a deal,, it just requires precise measurementson the hinge locatoins and patienc e to tweak the new doors's shape to fit an old opening. you may have to plane down edges of the door, you may have to ad shims behind the hinges got it to peropely clse

woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woodworkbykirk For This Useful Post:
Big Stud (12-11-2011)