Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-25-2007, 01:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Replacing facia board

I am looking to to replace some rotting facia board around the home and add a furring strip just below the edge of the shingles.
Is it ok to use pine for the furring and facia as long as it is properly primed ands painted?

Also, if the shingle will extend 1/2" - 3/4" past the furring strip, do I still need to have the galvinized flashing in place?

Thank you in advance for any responses.

Matt

mattflytx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 02:40 PM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Replacing facia board

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattflytx View Post
I am looking to to replace some rotting facia board around the home and add a furring strip just below the edge of the shingles.
Is it ok to use pine for the furring and facia as long as it is properly primed ands painted?
For the fascia material: Yes, you can use Pre-primed pine.
Tip: Prime the ends (after cutting) too....prior to install and nailing.

Quote:
Also, if the shingle will extend 1/2" - 3/4" past the furring strip, do I still need to have the galvinized flashing in place?
You must mean OVER the furring strip. ?? I am not sure I understand what you are talking about.

...If you are referring to ground molding (1"x1" trim that is placed under the inside edge of the fascia). This is made of Fingerjointed cedar.

.....as far as using flashing: Do you mean a galvanized drip cap? or do you mean something else?

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 03:51 PM   #3

Replacing facia board

Ok, maybe furring strip is the wrong term. Currently I have gutters attached to the front of the facia board. I will remove the gutters and only reattach in critical areas. I have noticed on some of the neighborhood houses that they have a 1" x 2" molding strip attached to the front of the facia right beneath the overhang of the shingles. If I were to add this peice and the overhang of the shingle would still be about 1/2" to 3/4", would I still need to have the drip cap (flashing that I refered to earlier)?

Do people use pressure treated lumber on eves and overhangs?
Old 05-25-2007, 05:19 PM   #4

Replacing facia board

Quote:
I have noticed on some of the neighborhood houses that they have a 1" x 2" molding strip attached to the front of the facia right beneath the overhang of the shingles.
Again, you lost me.

Are you speaking about the molding strip or the trim board attached under the soffit, against the house?

Example of Trim Board with a strip of 'bed molding' at the soffit:

Example of 1/4 round molding strip at the soffit:

Picture of cedar shake 'shingles' siding with base shoe style band strip at soffit:

Is it one of these styles or different?

Quote:
No, never.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:23 PM   #5

Replacing facia board

Quote:
Ok, maybe furring strip is the wrong term. Currently I have gutters attached to the front of the facia board. I will remove the gutters and only reattach in critical areas. I have noticed on some of the neighborhood houses that they have a 1" x 2" molding strip attached to the front of the facia right beneath the overhang of the shingles. If I were to add this peice and the overhang of the shingle would still be about 1/2" to 3/4", would I still need to have the drip cap (flashing that I refered to earlier)?

Ok, I think I figured out what you are speaking about.

You are speaking of the shadow board that is also shown in one of the pictures I posted (that is what we call them, other builders may have a different name for it).
Refer to picture #2 that I posted.

Looking at those pictures helped me to understand what you were referring to. You were speaking of the 'roof shingles', and I thought you were talking about 'siding shingles'.

These are pre-primed pine. You can buy these in different 'quality levels'.

You will most definitely need an aluminum drip cap over that piece of trim. You can get these in different widths and different colors.

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 05-25-2007 at 05:28 PM.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:05 PM   #6

Replacing facia board

Thank you much for your help.

One last question: what type of lumber do you use for the soffit?
Old 05-25-2007, 08:11 PM   #7

Replacing facia board

Quote:
Thank you much for your help.

One last question: what type of lumber do you use for the soffit?
That depends on if you are trying to match an existing soffit material.

Modern materials are 3/4" Pre-primed pine.

Example: If you look at the second pic I posted, you will see the soffit with 1x4 Pre-primed pine board, then a strip soffit vent, then another 1x4 Pre-primed pine board. The widths are dependant on the actual width of the soffit on the existing home or the architect's design.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:23 PM   #8

Replacing facia board

My overhang extends a little less than 2' and they used 1/4" thick material with 6" x 12" vents about every 10'. Most of the soffit wood is in good shape so I will just match with primed pine of the same dimensions.

Thank you.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:17 PM   #9

Replacing facia board

Quote:
My overhang extends a little less than 2' and they used 1/4" thick material with 6" x 12" vents about every 10'. Most of the soffit wood is in good shape so I will just match with primed pine of the same dimensions.

Thank you.

1/4" material is probably 1/4" sanded plywood.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:00 PM   #10
Log-Style Home Contractor

Rewards Points: 25

Replacing facia board

When doing plywood soffits up in Northern Michigan, 3/8" No-Groove Fir panels are often used. This may be what you are refering to in the 1/4" plywood. Otherwise 3/4" Tongue and Groove Cedar is also a popular option among log homes.
North Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 07:46 AM   #11

Replacing facia board

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Country View Post
When doing plywood soffits up in Northern Michigan, 3/8" No-Groove Fir panels are often used. This may be what you are refering to in the 1/4" plywood. Otherwise 3/4" Tongue and Groove Cedar is also a popular option among log homes.
Who said anything about this being a log home?
Old 05-26-2007, 08:22 AM   #12
Log-Style Home Contractor

Rewards Points: 25

Replacing facia board

Nobody said anything about this being a log home. I didn't mean to imply that I assumed it was. I was just giving examples of wood soffitting. The 3/8" is quite popular among T1-11, cement and vinyl sided homes, whereas the t&G is quite often limited to log style construction.
North Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 09:17 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 75

Replacing facia board

I'm doing somewhat of the same type job. I plan to post pictures up on here of my individual eaves/soffits, or what actually is the sorry excuse for them. I recently purchased my home (during the last six months) and there are no gutters where there should be, VERY little space for an overhang at other spots, and I can see daylight in the back corner and header portion of my garage rear wall. I GOTTA post the photos so you can see. Just let me know, should I start my own thread, I don't wanna hijack this one on the guy....Thanks all!!
mudpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 06:51 AM   #14

Replacing facia board

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpaws View Post
I'm doing somewhat of the same type job. I plan to post pictures up on here of my individual eaves/soffits, or what actually is the sorry excuse for them. I recently purchased my home (during the last six months) and there are no gutters where there should be, VERY little space for an overhang at other spots, and I can see daylight in the back corner and header portion of my garage rear wall. I GOTTA post the photos so you can see. Just let me know, should I start my own thread, I don't wanna hijack this one on the guy....Thanks all!!
You should start your own thread. It's the polite/correct thing to do, and you will get more alot more responses.

Welcome to the site.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:50 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 75

Replacing facia board

Quote:
Matt
The previous rotting problem was probably due to the lack of drip cap or drip edge. In your case with only 1/2 - 3/4 of shingle overhang, I'd suggest using 1x2 drip edge (L-shaped) rather than D-style which would leave your shingles flush with the drip edge.

pavola is offline   Reply With Quote