Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-01-2013, 04:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 83

Replacing Exterior Side Door Help!

As a continuation to a previous thread titled "Rough Opening for Pre-Hung..." I'm looking for some insight on how to properly replace the door (beauty) attached.

princelake gave me some golden advice on the steps he takes to hang an interior pre-hung, found here

I assume the same holds true for an external door? However, at the very beginning I'm attaching a frame of 1x4's (or other size based on your suggestions) to the masonry wall to create a level frame. Then attaching the pre-hung to this frame. Also, i should wrap the 1x4's in roofing paper or another waterproof membrane and fill up holes with spray-on insulation? Dap, corning etc ?

I plan on replacing my side door with one of these or something similar.

In this application I assume i need to make sure my materials are weatherized (screws, caulk, etc) and when it comes to the saddle, to level it off with, possibly, hydraulic cement and if possible when it comes to finally drilling the finished jam, to make sure it penetrates into the masonry wall? 3" tapcons should work, i assume, but I'm sure you folks have some tried and true feedback and suggestions on which materials have worked best for you!

Thanks in advance!

Harry.

hboogz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:11 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hboogz View Post
As a continuation to a previous thread titled "Rough Opening for Pre-Hung..." I'm looking for some insight on how to properly replace the door (beauty) attached.

princelake gave me some golden advice on the steps he takes to hang an interior pre-hung, found here

I assume the same holds true for an external door? However, at the very beginning I'm attaching a frame of 1x4's (or other size based on your suggestions) to the masonry wall to create a level frame. Then attaching the pre-hung to this frame. Also, i should wrap the 1x4's in roofing paper or another waterproof membrane and fill up holes with spray-on insulation? Dap, corning etc ?

I plan on replacing my side door with one of these or something similar.

In this application I assume i need to make sure my materials are weatherized (screws, caulk, etc) and when it comes to the saddle, to level it off with, possibly, hydraulic cement and if possible when it comes to finally drilling the finished jam, to make sure it penetrates into the masonry wall? 3" tapcons should work, i assume, but I'm sure you folks have some tried and true feedback and suggestions on which materials have worked best for you!

Thanks in advance!

Harry.
Anyone?

Old 05-04-2013, 10:41 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,344

Helps to place your location in your profile. That is going to be a hard one, due to the opening when it was built, was made for the door frame to be installed, before the brick facing was put in place. From the looks of it, and with all of that coax, I would have to say that 1) It is not a good area, and 2) it appears to be a multi-tenant building.

It also helps if you give the measurements of the rough opening. That would be from the edge of the brick on both sides, and from the top at the bottom edge of the brick, to the floor.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:24 PM   #4
Haverhill Trade 1965

Rewards Points: 500

Is this a brick building or a brick veneer? Is this a prison?? Why two doorbells?
Duckweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:31 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 25

from what i see I would use a metal welded jamb with wedge bolts, toggle bolts, or tapcons depending on how it looks after your existing jamb is out. shim the jamb plumb and make sure the head is level and anchor the jamb and swing the door
ubcguy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:02 AM   #6

Now that you mention it, it does kinda look like a door used in some sort of prison or place you'd rather not find yourself. lol. Hence my urge to replace it. The area is fine and yes this is not a single family home and I suppose a lot of coax and brick may scare you folks from the stix, but no need to fret folks.

Leaving the socioeconomic judgments for a minute, thanks for the feedback ubc. I assume I have to buy those separately, would HD sell them? I will look to get rough measurements soon but thank you all for your replies nonetheless, albeit a bit off-topic.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:42 AM   #7
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,094

Use a buck and a steel door. I suspect someone had the jail house door there for a reason?

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:43 PM   #8
Haverhill Trade 1965

Rewards Points: 500

If the building is solid brick walls the metal jamb would probably be the way to go. If i is a brick veneer on a wood frame wall you may have different options. Around here the masonry dealers carry steel jambs.
Duckweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:08 PM   #9
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,094

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckweather View Post
If the building is solid brick walls the metal jamb would probably be the way to go. If i is a brick veneer on a wood frame wall you may have different options. Around here the masonry dealers carry steel jambs.
Yeah, They are called a buck if they are metal, not a jamb.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:18 PM   #10
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,344

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckweather View Post
Is this a brick building or a brick veneer? Is this a prison?? Why two doorbells?
Multi-tenant building.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Now that you mention it, it does kinda look like a door used in some sort of prison or place you'd rather not find yourself. lol. Hence my urge to replace it. The area is fine and yes this is not a single family home and I suppose a lot of coax and brick may scare you folks from the stix, but no need to fret folks.

Leaving the socioeconomic judgments for a minute, thanks for the feedback ubc. I assume I have to buy those separately, would HD sell them? I will look to get rough measurements soon but thank you all for your replies nonetheless, albeit a bit off-topic.
you can get them through your big box stores, they may be special order. I am a commercial carpenter, we generally use a commercial door company. If you choose to use a steel jamb, be sure to keep the spreader (metal piece at the bottom) in if you can. you can properly remove it by smacking it with a cold chisel. you will want to bondo the anchors and sand with a palm sander before paining. any exterior door will hang on them as long as the hinge layout is the same along with the strike layout. you will also need to purchase a threshold seperatly compatible with a welded frame type jamb.
The Following User Says Thank You to ubcguy89 For This Useful Post:
hboogz (05-06-2013)
Old 05-06-2013, 10:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubcguy89 View Post
you can get them through your big box stores, they may be special order. I am a commercial carpenter, we generally use a commercial door company. If you choose to use a steel jamb, be sure to keep the spreader (metal piece at the bottom) in if you can. you can properly remove it by smacking it with a cold chisel. you will want to bondo the anchors and sand with a palm sander before paining. any exterior door will hang on them as long as the hinge layout is the same along with the strike layout. you will also need to purchase a threshold seperatly compatible with a welded frame type jamb.
Don't know what that means? But I'll venture a guess and say, pre-drill, fill hole with adhesive (bondo) fasten anchors (tapcons?)
Old 05-07-2013, 10:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Don't know what that means? But I'll venture a guess and say, pre-drill, fill hole with adhesive (bondo) fasten anchors (tapcons?)
No let me explain in better detail. I can not tell what kind of anchors you need unless I see what the rough opening looks like after the door is removed. what you need to do is try to get a pre dimpled door (already has holes drilled and countersunk). if you can not find one, you need to predrill and countersink the holes on a metal jamb (you need a big countersink without a guide bit for this). you will do this on the opposite side of the door stop that your door swings on. hammerdrill and use the appropiate anchors (obviously after the door is shimmed plumb (use a plumb bob for this) and level (use a 2' level on the door head). then after the jamb is set and door is swinging you then use bondo to mud over the anchors to hide them from site. then after the bondo is dry you sand it smooth and paint the jamb.