Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-26-2011, 05:17 PM   #1

Share |

Replacing deck? help!

hi everyone im new here. stupidly i thought some coals were cold enough to set on a wood deck in a metal pan.... they werent. so now i got a big burn spot i can just cover up, i need to replace 6 2x4. they are nailed to each other skinny way which i have taken a saw and cut all the nails. on one end is a railing bolted down to the deck, i can take care of that side easy. on the other side the boards run under my house. well i have taken off the molding now and i have tongue & groove siding. behind that there is some 1x4 going vertical and behind that some board running horizontal. i am just renting this apartment and do not want to start taking 100 things off to replace these boards. is there an easy way to do this?
also, i cut one of the boards in half with about an inch gap, i can move the board up and down, but cannot slide it out.

My Porch

this is the boards going into the molding

underneath my deck. there is no supports visible

Last edited by little-b; 05-26-2011 at 05:48 PM.
little-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 06:49 AM   #2
Next Time...New Build

Replacing deck? help!

If you have the nails cut between the boards and you remove the railing, can you just pull the bad boards out? From the pic it looks like there is just a ledger board underneath that the floorboards sit on against the house.

I would try that, you may not have to even touch the trim boards.

On a side note, that is an interesting way of doing a porch. Never seen it or thought of anything like that. Provides a neat look.

RickyBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 01:03 PM   #3

Replacing deck? help!

Can you drive a cat's paw (curved crow bar looking thing) into the wood and then beat on the cat's paw to drive out the board?
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 01:04 PM   #4

Replacing deck? help!

A thought: if the burn isn't too deep, since it was painted, couldn't you use scrape, sand, apply a waterproof wood putty, sand, and then repaint?
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 01:21 PM   #5

Replacing deck? help!

Pull the nails you see with the aforementioned cats paw. Sawzall the nails you can't see and remove the lumber. Replace as needed.
Grill on the ground.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:12 PM   #6

Replacing deck? help!

I don't have any real input on how to solve your burn issue. But I do want to know if that's a typical method of building a deck? That seems like a lot of wood to use. The only way I can see that being a justifiable method is if it is cantilevered out off of the building. From the looks of the wall next to it, that doesn't seem to be the case.
Clemsig07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:18 PM   #7

Replacing deck? help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemsig07 View Post
I don't have any real input on how to solve your burn issue. But I do want to know if that's a typical method of building a deck? That seems like a lot of wood to use. The only way I can see that being a justifiable method is if it is cantilevered out off of the building. From the looks of the wall next to it, that doesn't seem to be the case.
The boards are laying flat. They are not cantilevered as they are not structural in size or orientation.
It's not a lot of wood.
Ron
Old 06-03-2011, 08:23 PM   #8

Replacing deck? help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
The boards are laying flat. They are not cantilevered as they are not structural in size or orientation.
It's not a lot of wood.
Ron
To me it appears that the 2x4s are stood up with their short side facing up resulting in a 3 1/2" chunk of wood as the floor of the deck. his seems like a lot of wood to me.
Clemsig07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 11:04 PM   #9

Replacing deck? help!

You don't want to be liable, talk to your landlord now.

Gary
Old 06-03-2011, 11:32 PM   #10

Replacing deck? help!

whole thread is lol...

construction of that deck is lol..

too much wood.

burn probably no more than 1/8 thick.....should have probably sanded and refinished.

since you've already cut nails, you now need to fix a structural problem when before you likely only had a cosmetic one.

this is based off an internet picture, maybe the burn is full thickness...
jcrack_corn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 01:25 AM   #11

Replacing deck? help!

If that deck is 2x4's on edge like the OP says and it does kinda look like it...

i've never seen a deck built like that, I assume it's cantilevered but still, wierd.
chrisBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 07:52 PM   #12

Replacing deck? help!

Im sure its not canilevered. I have seen quite a few decks like this and have also done one on a new house several years ago. Its mostly a cosmetic thing although 2x4 on edge on what appears to be about a 4 ft deck wouldnt need any joist or support. 2x4 are cheap and this is not an expensive way of decking a small deck.
ubenhad4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 08:20 PM   #13

Replacing deck? help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemsig07 View Post
To me it appears that the 2x4s are stood up with their short side facing up resulting in a 3 1/2" chunk of wood as the floor of the deck. his seems like a lot of wood to me.
That could be on second glance.
Ron

Last edited by Ron6519; 06-04-2011 at 08:24 PM.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:04 PM   #14
the Musigician

Replacing deck? help!

This might work....

DM
Attached Thumbnails
Replacing deck? help!-burn.jpg