Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-10-2011, 02:23 PM   #1
Cape Cod, MA

Share |

Replacing Damaged Cedar Clapboard?

Hey Guys,

I just bought my home a few years ago and theres some clap board that is damaged. I want to cut out the section that is damaged and then replace just that strip. I saw an article on fine home building magazine that had a walkthrough on this. They also appeared to use a tool (maybe black and decker?) that had a flat blade to make verticle cuts so that the butt of one strip is flat against the new strip?

Any help is appriciated.
Thanks

capecodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 04:16 PM   #2
Mod

So I take it you don’t want to replace the whole piece of siding but just a portion of the one piece?

Replacing the entire piece would not only be easier but would also look better and not look like a patch.

If your set on the patch job then you need to locate the center of a stud on either side of the damage and mark vertical lines and make the cuts.

How I would do it is try to wedge out the piece above an ” or so (without braking it) score the line using a speed square and a utility knife and make the cut with a new 6” metal blade turned backwards in the Sawzall.

You could start the cut with a circler saw and finish it with Sawzall if you wanted to but I would probably just use the Sawzall. it’s a tricky cut to have look good and not to damage any other siding.

Old 11-10-2011, 05:27 PM   #3
Cape Cod, MA

Sorry, i guess I should have worded that differently. I want to replace one strip. I went to home depot and it looks like these things are sold as very long strips of cedar about 6 or 8 feet. So I see what you are saying. I just hope these strips are the same length. That is why I ask about cutting them and butting them together. The tool I mentioned is something like this tool :

43 seconds in, any idea what that tool is and where i can get one?

Hopefully the length is the same and I wont need to cut them. The nails I should be using are 7d ring shanked siding nails in stainless steel from what i've searched?

How does one go about doing a similar repair to cedar shingles? In the back of my home someone replaced cedar shingles around a dryer vent and face nailed them. I plan to tackle this comes spring but am wondering how to replace the shingles without having nails showing?

Thanks for the help.
capecodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 05:42 PM   #4
Mod

The tool is a Multimaster, just about all of the major tool manufactures have a version of it.

As far as the rest post a couple of pictures standing back a bit showing the entire area. How to attach a photo to a post