Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-18-2009, 06:22 PM   #1

Share |

Replacing Cedar Lap with Hardi Plank

I am going to reside my cedar lap sided house in the near future with Hardi plank lap. I am planning on doing myself and am wondering if this can be done a little at a time. I live on the coast of Florida and will be face nailing. I will be using tar paper behind siding and was going to tear off enough for 1 run of paper at a time (<3').I know I will need to tuck under the the next run of old paper as I go up (might be trickey). Is this possible? Thanks

rodss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 06:38 AM   #2
J Calvin Construction

Sure it can be done. I actually do this on occasion myself. The full length tyvek can be tricky to put up yourself. I will cut the entire roll in half with a circular saw and put it up 4-5 foot at a time. You want to make sure that the next lap of paper covers the last lap, not the other way around. Imagine water running down your house, you don't want to leave an place for the water to run in. Make sure you wrap the corners over and let the side laps fall over much further than the top and bottom laps.

I do assume that you are going to tear off the old cedar siding first.!? You will never be able to make lap siding over lap siding look good.

I always blind nail my siding. This is simply nailing only were the next lap of siding will cover. Do the work and find the studs to nail into, makes a tighter job and the siding will hold better. Make your break cuts on a stud so you can nail both pieces into the stud. Ask around about face nailing. I know you get some stronger winds down there than I do, but, I would make sure that I had to before I dotted my new siding with face nailing.

You hired WHO?
jcalvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 06:56 AM   #3

Agreed with the above statement!

Custom Siding & Decks - Serving MA-RI
MBMcarpentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 07:05 AM   #4

Save yourself some hassle and make up a story pole to lay the siding out with as you go.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:23 AM   #5
I have gas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodss View Post
I am going to reside my cedar lap sided house in the near future with Hardi plank lap. I am planning on doing myself and am wondering if this can be done a little at a time. I live on the coast of Florida and will be face nailing. I will be using tar paper behind siding and was going to tear off enough for 1 run of paper at a time (<3').I know I will need to tuck under the the next run of old paper as I go up (might be trickey). Is this possible? Thanks
I'm doing this as well, it took my first side of a 2 story house about 7 weeks of nights and weekends. It gets faster as you go along and learn a few tricks. You may be able to get away with blind nailing if you stick to the smaller exposure fiber cement boards but Hardi does recommend face nailing in high wind areas.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:19 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies. I am absolutly tearing off the old. On the subject of tyvec I had a good friend that resided his house after the 04 hurricanes which originally used that product. When he tore off the old siding, the tyvec disenigrated when touched. Has anyone else seen that happen and is it a problem?
rodss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 06:02 PM   #7

never heard of that before with the Tyvec. Hardi board has to be face nailed and like mentioned above, find those studs and nail into them and your boards meet on them.

I hated cutting that stuff. I had a high powered fan blowing at me and the cutting table to try to help keep that dust away.

A little trick on the corners and windows. Use 5/4 pine (pre-prime) or Tuff board and rabbet the edge in a 1/2" creating a like "J" channel. Gives you a little play room on your cuts and overall a better looking job, IMHO. If you have a rabbet blade for your table saw, its really easy to do. Single pass, done.
II Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 06:27 PM   #8

Tyvec and cedar do not mix. The tannins in the wood eat it up. I don't know if they changed their formula since to deal with this or not. As far as I know, no other building wrap has this problem.