DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Carpentry (
-   -   Replacing cabinet hinges (

bethd8384 03-30-2008 11:40 PM

Replacing cabinet hinges
I want to replace the existing cabinet hinges in my kitchen with the hidden ones. I'm not sure what hinges to buy and if they would work anyway. On one door, the door is 19.5" wide and the door opening is 19" wide. Is there a hidden hinge that will work? My husband is convinced that we will have to buy new doors. I would like to get rid of the shiny brass door pulls and change them to something darker - probably antique brass since we have a bunch of that. Any advice? He is a really good diy person so we'd like to be able to tackle this ourselves. Thanks!


skymaster 03-31-2008 10:29 AM

Beth; Send pics, there are so many variables to this. IE: Present door construction, opening sizes, door overlay etc etc. If the doors presently have a 3/8 rabbett and exposed hinges odds are very very good that new doors are in order to use hidden IE "European" type hinges

bethd8384 03-31-2008 07:41 PM

I'll take some pictures tonight and post them here. I talked to a guy at Home Depot who is also a cabinet maker and he said that we could use the knife-type hinge that would only show a little bit of white. His opinion was that since the doors have a flat back (cheap made of mdf) with no rabbit like you mentioned that the only hinge that will work is the knife one. Opinions? Thanks for your help!

bethd8384 04-02-2008 09:42 PM

I can't seem to get the pics to post - the files are too big. Can I email them to you? Thanks!

skymaster 04-03-2008 11:25 AM

Betn sure go ahead and email em no problems:yes:

bethd8384 04-03-2008 10:59 PM

the forum won't let me email you - my email is and I can email you back

I went to my neighbor's house today and looked at their hinges - they have the knife type and we think the same cabinet people built their cabinets too. I'm thinking that may work?

Termite 04-13-2008 12:47 AM

I'd suggest looking around on They sell a lot of concealed hinges, and have a lot of "how to" info to determine what you need (overlay, face frame or euro, etc). Cup hinges are fully concealed, self closing, etc........
I think they sell the Blum brand, which are popular.

You can install them reasonably easily. They look complex but they aren't difficult. You buy a forstner bit (35mm, etc) to drill the back of the doors for the cups, and they have hinges that will mount directly to the edge of your face frames on your cabinets.

Cup hinges are typically very adjustable in 2 or 3 axis.

Definately a DIY job if you're semi-handy.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:44 PM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1