Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-14-2011, 08:44 PM   #1

Share |

Replacing bartop in rec room

Hello,

I need some assistance replacing the top to the bar in my basement rec room. The bar was already built when I purchased the house and had a partially finished counter that was part tile and part glass. The trim work had alot of gaps and didnt sit flush to the bar, with nails protruding and poking my guests, so I decided to take it all off and do it myself.

I plan on on using some laminate hardwood flooring for the top with 3/4 ply underneath, but cannot come up with a strategy for the bar rail. There are beautiful railings online built for bars, but being in Canada I am not looking at shipping something in. I do not have alot of options locally, just your standard hardware stores. Does anyone have a suggestion on how I could assemble a bar rail from standard mouldings and caps available at homedepot? Alternately I would be OK with just capping it with some trim.

Attached you will find a picture of the bar, I welcome any recommendations on improvements you may have to offer. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Replacing bartop in rec room-img_00000015.jpg  

becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:00 PM   #2

Have you considered a brass rail?

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:28 AM   #3
Crusty Old Dude

If you are going to top it with 3/4 ply and HW flooring, just go around it with 1x4 and let it hang past the ply about halfway and double up the 1x on the outside. Then route a bullnose or any edge you want on it. If you don't have a router you can always chamfer the edges and call it done. Personally I would round the corners so your friends won't get gouged by their sharpness.
Big Stud is offline   Reply With Quote