Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-09-2011, 04:06 PM   #1

Share |

replacing andersen windows

What's the best way to take out an andersen window? Do I take apart the trim on the inside of the window and then look for screws or nails that may have been used on the sides to attach it to the opening. The windows are 20+ years old. Thanks.

cpitcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:39 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpitcock View Post
What's the best way to take out an andersen window? Do I take apart the trim on the inside of the window and then look for screws or nails that may have been used on the sides to attach it to the opening. The windows are 20+ years old. Thanks.
It depends if it is a new construction or a replacement window. A new construction window will be nailed through the flanges on the top, bottom, and sides of the window(unless there is brickmold trim on the outside). These flanges are under he siding. If it's a replacement window then the window is probably screwed in from the sides and top. If the window frame is still in good shape and you can find the model numbers of the windows, you can call Andersen to see if you can order replacement sashes. It might be a cheaper option depending on how many windows you are looking to replace.

Handyman Help is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:31 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyman Help View Post
It depends if it is a new construction or a replacement window. A new construction window will be nailed through the flanges on the top, bottom, and sides of the window(unless there is brickmold trim on the outside). These flanges are under he siding. If it's a replacement window then the window is probably screwed in from the sides and top. If the window frame is still in good shape and you can find the model numbers of the windows, you can call Andersen to see if you can order replacement sashes. It might be a cheaper option depending on how many windows you are looking to replace.
That age window will be new construction. Andersen didn't make "replacement windows back then.
But it doesn't neccessarily mean it was install with the flanges. Some were installed by clips attached to the rough opening framing.
Post some photos of the windows.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:38 PM   #4

The woodpecker actually pecked through the glass. It was doing this over a course of a couple of months. I have attached some photos. I am a pretty handy guy and I would love to do this myself to save some money. I don't want to call the insurance company or a contractor who will charge me for his expensive labor.
Attached Thumbnails
replacing andersen windows-img00490-20110810-1302.jpg   replacing andersen windows-img00491-20110810-1303.jpg   replacing andersen windows-img00492-20110810-1304.jpg  
cpitcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:14 PM   #5

You have broken glass, have the glass replaced.
Why are you thinking of replacing the whole window?
Any(okay, most) glazier can put in a new insulated glass panel.
Andersen used to sell a storm panel that was attached to the exterior. If they don't, you could add a plastic sheet with clips to keep the juvenile delinquent birds from breaking the glass.

Last edited by Ron6519; 08-10-2011 at 01:38 PM.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote