Replacement Windows? Asbestos Shingles? I Have NO CLUE! - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-19-2010, 08:10 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Replacement Windows? Asbestos Shingles? I have NO CLUE!

Long story short, the house has ORGINAL single pane ALUMINUM frame SLIDER windows from the 60's. (home inspector said they were no good the day after they were installed) My wife inherited the house and we want to do the work BEFORE we move in. I would PREFER to install the windows myself, (my brother has experience with replacing windows I do not) and save the money. The issue is I want to replace with vinyl double hung or casement, not sliders. How would I cap/finish the windows on the outside with asbestos shingles?

Thank You

Advertisement

Evil Scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 10:53 AM   #2
Chicago, IL

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Scotsman View Post
How would I cap/finish the windows on the outside with asbestos shingles?Thank You
Installation would be much like that for retro-fitting a window into modern fiber-cement siding.

Hopefully, the shingles are installed over a weather resistant barrier (WRB), likely (given the age of the building) "builders felt" - this served somewhat the same purpose as a more modern WRB such as house-wrap ("Tyvek")

If so, you would install a "Z" flashing under the WRB and out over the head trim on the windows. It would also be a very good idea to install a pan flashing at the bottom of the window and out over the siding. (Some replacement windows have "self-flashing" features which according to the manufacturers makes a "Z" flashing unnecessary if the windows are installed according to the manufacturers instructions - many experienced installers are skeptical about the long-term performance of this arrangement in retrofit installations, and prefer to also install a head flashing as a "belt and suspenders" approach.)

You can get a general idea of the procedure from the right-hand Fig 3. here:

http://www.jameshardie.com/pdf/insta...epanel-hz5.pdf

And from this article:

http://www.finehomebuilding.com/PDF/Free/021197054.pdf

except that you will be working with the existing WRB rather than the house-wrap shown in the article.

Cutting the asbestos siding in such a way that the asbestos does not become friable is another issue entirely.

Advertisement

Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/

Last edited by Michael Thomas; 10-19-2010 at 11:00 AM.
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 01:01 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

Thanks Mike, I appreciate you answer AND the links! I think you just convinced me, (as long as the price is OUTRAGEOUS) I will leave that to the pros!

Cheers
Evil Scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote