DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Carpentry (http://www.diychatroom.com/f14/)
-   -   Repairing Wooden Garage Door (http://www.diychatroom.com/f14/repairing-wooden-garage-door-188381/)

Klawman 10-10-2013 04:03 PM

Repairing Wooden Garage Door
 
3 Attachment(s)
A termite inspector, who found soft spots in two areas of my wooden garaged doors, told me to chisel out dry rot, treat the area around where the rot was found with Bora Care, and use Bondo to fill the void.

Does hat make sense for a temporary fix? The doors, of which there is the one damaged and two others, are twenty three years old and otherwise are in good shape. If I could buy a new section to replace the damaged one I would but no one will even talk with me about that. All they want to do is sell a steel door.

On another current post, I read that Bondo will swell if it gets wet and am wondering if it is a good filler.

This is in Southern California where the climate is moderate.

What do you guys think?

joecaption 10-10-2013 04:47 PM

I think you need a new door.

Klawman 10-10-2013 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joecaption (Post 1251918)
I think you need a new door.

I think you are right, but I can't get a door in time to close escrow on a refinance. I have to repair this if at all possible.

Fairview 10-10-2013 05:04 PM

If bondo swells when wet there's sure a bunch of cars running around with swelled body parts. If it were mine I'd try it.

And I've seen some termite damage in my life time but that is about the strangest place ever.

Klawman 10-10-2013 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairview (Post 1251925)
If bondo swells when wet there's sure a bunch of cars running around with swelled body parts. If it were mine I'd try it.

And I've seen some termite damage in my life time but that is about the strangest place ever.

There is and was no termite damage but dry rot and the recommended correction was to "chisel out minor surface damage, treat with a State approved fungicide and fill minor damage to correct." The inspector told me to do it myself and save $$$. I don't think he was trying to rip me off.

I think I will try the bondo or a similar wood filler if one is recommended. If it gets me by for a few months I can do something permanent.


Either the damage was deeper than it appeared or I went deeper than necessary and should have used a wood hardener.

AndyWRS 10-10-2013 05:15 PM

If you really wanted to spend some time at it you could bondo that. A cheap new door would probably work out to be less given the time / labor it would take to make that look good. Its also posible that the patch may crack and ruin your bandaid with the operation of the door...sort of seems like a cheap new door is your cheapest option.

I see mesa ads all the time, $500 door...you get what you pay for though. If your in so cal that is.

I think the bondo would hold up and if it were the house i was living in i would try it first. I think it would work, just take some time shape it.

Klawman 10-10-2013 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyWRS (Post 1251935)
If you really wanted to spend some time at it you could bondo that. A cheap new door would probably work out to be less given the time / labor it would take to make that look good. Its also posible that the patch may crack and ruin your bandaid with the operation of the door...sort of seems like a cheap new door is your cheapest option.

I see mesa ads all the time, $500 door...you get what you pay for though. If your in so cal that is.

Yeah. I called a "local" number and think I was routed to Mesa Doors. At a minimum, the doors I would go with will run me $3,000 for all three and they aren't anything fancy. Even the guy at Lowe's told me to hold off as they are coming out with a nicer looking door from Amar.

AndyWRS 10-10-2013 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Klawman (Post 1251937)
Yeah. I called a "local" number and think I was routed to Mesa Doors. At a minimum, the doors I would go with will run me $3,000 for all three and they aren't anything fancy. Even the guy at Lowe's told me to hold off as they are coming out with a nicer looking door from Amar.


Just replace ours with a Amar, $1600 no opener. But it is quite nice and i doute i will ever be replacing it, very study. I think your patching it, multiple doors won't be cheap.

Using mesa was a joke actually, i think they had the worst reviews of all i researched.

Klawman 10-10-2013 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyWRS (Post 1251947)
Just replace ours with a Amar, $1600 no opener. But it is quite nice and i doute i will ever be replacing it, very study. I think your patching it, multiple doors won't be cheap.

Using mesa was a joke actually, i think they had the worst reviews of all i researched.

Did you get a double door for that or a single size? A local dealer/installer called Besser Bros wants $1K per door to install 3 Oak Summit 3000 by Amarr, which is with windows and installed, but with existing openers.

AndyWRS 10-10-2013 06:13 PM

It was a 7'x16' Amar H3000. I used Besser Bros actually, was done about 2 months ago. I think was actaully $1452, I had quotes for the same door $1600-$1800 from other local companies.

Klawman 10-10-2013 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyWRS (Post 1251956)
It was a 7'x16' Amar H3000. I used Besser Bros actually, was done about 2 months ago. I think was actaully $1452, I had quotes for the same door $1600-$1800 from other local companies.

Interesting. As far as I can tell, the H3000 and what I am looking at is about the same thing. In fact, I have two flyers and the one we are looking at is probably the Heritage 3000. If I do it, I may spring for the wind load option. We are on a residential intersection where the Santa Ana winds coming at us pretty hard this time of year.

The more I think of it I may have gone too far with removing the wood and could have left the back if I had used a wood hardener, but then I don't know what the termite inspector would do.

bob22 10-13-2013 10:11 AM

Replace it for like $300.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_87088-56870-99119557_1z11pnn+1z13abw+2z8vp__?productId=1102951 &Ns=p_product_price|0&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_pr oduct_price%7C0%26page%3D1&facetInfo=Single|$200%2 0-%20$400

AndyWRS 10-13-2013 10:26 AM

Replacing all three doors with cheap doors would be an option. The one in the link doesnt match the two that are not damaged.

If it were my house and i was staying there i would not install a cheap door. We installed a cheap door 5 yrs ago, it buckled this summer to the point it needed full replacement. I refused to go cheap this time, but i am also planning on being here for 5-10 yrs still.

oh'mike 10-13-2013 11:45 AM

If you have a multi-tool and a router. you could cut out the bad wood neatly --then make some replacement parts and glue them in with Titebond III--a bit of wood filler to hide the edges---if you have a surface planer,the job will be easier---make a front and inside piece half the thickness as the stiles and rails---glue them one ,back to back to capture the panel----

SPS-1 10-13-2013 11:49 AM

The bondo is going to last quite a long time. Its going to be easier if you take off that panel and lay it flat, otherwise that through-hole may take a few coats of bondo. Tack a piece of scrap as a temporary backplate to the back of the through hole, but with a piece of waxed paper between it and the door so the bondo don't stick to it. Sand as required to get the contour right.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:05 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved