Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-29-2010, 12:24 PM   #1

Share |

repairing electrical outlets in old Plaster lath walls

I have long contemplated repairing the electrical outlets in the walls of a house that was built in 1914, (nothing wrong with Electric) just the plaster/lath walls around the outlets, have weakened and need re-enforced, have seen some videos, (most have to do with drywall repair), but looking for advise on repairing plaster/lath walls then placing electrical outlet back in same area,, any advise/help would greatly appriciated

jjchips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 06:15 PM   #2

What sort of lath material do you have? If it's a wood lath,the keys have probably broken off. Open the area effected with the least traumatic tool you have. An electric grinder and a shop vac are my choices. Remove all the loose plaster and get donw to the wood. Buy a bag of Structolite for the base(scratch) coat. Apply it so it's about an 1/8" or so below the wall plane. When it's dry, apply a white plaster topcoat and get it as even as you can. You're not sanding plaster.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
jjchips (08-30-2010)
Old 08-30-2010, 06:40 PM   #3

what I'm planning on doing is taking out a piece of plaster/lath, from stud to stud then replacing with dry wall the lath is probaby 1" by 1/8th thick
jjchips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:20 PM   #4

JJ,
i rewired my old house completely which has wood lath and plaster.
when needed, i found on average a piece of 3/8" drywall planed in perfectly with the finished plaster when installed over the lath.
so if the area around your receptacles is all chewed up, i would say to either use "durabond" compound and fill in the horror, or if it's really bad and bigger than say 1/2", you can peel off some plaster, and PL/liquid nails a piece of 3/8" rock right on over the lath. then just tape/compound per usual. maybe one or two drywall screws to hold it until the glue cures, or tape, even. worked like a charm in my place.

i used a jigsaw to cut out the holes for new boxes, and in a few cases broke the upper or lower piece of lath. if this is the case, just open up to next sound piece of lath. you can use the "old work" plastic receptacles and clamp them right onto the lath/drywall.
or replace the lath if really needed.

any of the above methods will get you there, depending on how bad things are.
wombosi is offline   Reply With Quote