Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-02-2013, 09:09 PM   #1

Share |

Repairing Dry Rot at exterior door

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum, but:

I have some dry rot at my back door (exterior)-see attached picture. Any suggestions on the best way to repair this?

The dry rot doesn't go up more than ~ 6 inches.

Thanks,
Rob
Attached Thumbnails
Repairing Dry Rot at exterior door-back-door.jpg  

Indywar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:05 PM   #2

I had a similar issue on my back door leading out from my utility room, below grade, to concrete steps leading up to the back yard. I chipped away all of the damaged wood as best I could. After that I applied wood hardener, and then wood filler, sanding it to the appropriate shape. Primer, then paint and good as new.
Attached Images

Dave Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:32 AM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

I like wood restoration products from Abatron and have used them for decades on sailboats and homes. Same concept as the Minwax products shown. You scrape out as much decayed and loose stuff as you can, use the liquid hardener to solidify the borders of what is left, and then fill with the paste. Let it harden. Then shape, sand, prime and paint.

http://www.abatron.com/building-and-....html?vmcchk=1

But, I can almost guarantee you are staring at an iceberg. If what you showed us is rotted I just bet you will find the wood under the aluminum threshold plate and perhaps beyond it is gone too and should be replaced rather than attempting to fill it in. You should at least pull one side of it up and peak so you know?

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings but I suspect this is going to turn into something more than a casual project. I could be and hope I am wrong for your sake. Obviously I cannot poke at it in person.

I have never bought Abatron from but them so never worried much about expiration dates. If you get Minwax epoxy products (or any others but from the maker of them) from a hideous box store or something, do make sure the components are within the expiration date. No fault of Minwax, Rustoleum and others but some box stores seem lazy about rotating stock and there is not much worse when it comes to DIY projects gone bad than epoxy or other resins that will not cure because they are outdated. I have seen it most often with epoxy floor products sold past their prime that would have forever stayed gummy.

Last edited by user1007; 05-03-2013 at 07:46 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
Dave Sal (05-03-2013)
Old 05-03-2013, 03:53 PM   #4

Thanks Dave & Sdsester.

I have a couple of additional pictures(https://picasaweb.google.com/1020487...CKShhN_G5Y_yHg).

I thought the Bondo was an option, but with the damage all the way through the 2x4, is there enough for the Bondo to hold on to? Is it possible to saw the bottom of this off and install a new 2x4? My thought with that, was how to secure it to the top (remaining board) and attaching it to the bottom. Is it possible to toe-nail this in?

Thanks again for any advice.
Rob
Old 05-03-2013, 07:17 PM   #5
Roofmaster

That kind of rot cannot be addressed with a patch product. It has to be replaced. Funny, Im working on something like this right now. The joint is flush but has not been filled and sanded yet. You need to do something like this. I fabricated it in one piece from a 2 x 6.
Attached Images

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:34 PM   #6

You did a great job! This the product I will use every time for wood rot restoration. http://www.rotdoctor.com/
it is the best on the market.
Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:13 PM   #7
Roofmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailbags View Post
You did a great job! This the product I will use every time for wood rot restoration. http://www.rotdoctor.com/
it is the best on the market.
LOL Im nowhere near done yet, but thanks anyway. Im just trying to make the point that once wood has dry rotted to the extent that the OP's project has, it needs to be replaced. If the cell structure of the wood is gone, whats the point? Wood is not all that expensive.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:45 PM   #8
Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagans View Post
LOL Im nowhere near done yet
But then why is it painted?

I completely agree with your method though. Replace the wood. Filler has it's place but this is "way" beyond that imo.

A table saw, router, sander and know how are required to complete the task seamlessly. If op is missing any of that then he/she should should find someone that does/can.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:20 PM   #9
Roofmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
But then why is it painted?

I completely agree with your method though. Replace the wood. Filler has it's place but this is "way" beyond that imo.

A table saw, router, sander and know how are required to complete the task seamlessly. If op is missing any of that then he/she should should find someone that does/can.
Thats just primer. Its going to get two coats of exterior white. Then a new magnetic weather strip in the groove.

Yeah you are right on the tools. You cant do much without them.

Last edited by jagans; 05-03-2013 at 09:23 PM.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagans View Post
That kind of rot cannot be addressed with a patch product. It has to be replaced. Funny, Im working on something like this right now. The joint is flush but has not been filled and sanded yet. You need to do something like this. I fabricated it in one piece from a 2 x 6.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post

i have to agree with you guys. and replacing it, imo, would be easier.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:32 AM   #11

Thanks again for the advice.

Should I remove the entire board or use oscillating saw to cut it off a little above where the rot ends?

Also, what is the best method for reattaching (on the bottom it looks like it was nailed through threshold into this board, probable before installing as a unit).

Thanks.
Rob
Old 05-04-2013, 12:01 PM   #12
Roofmaster

Hi Rob. In this case i think I would replace the whole mullion. Fabricate it first and drill counter sink holes with a forstner bit, then through holes. Then prime the whole board first before installation, especially the bottom end grain. Screw into place, plug the screw holes, sand, prime sanded the two coats of finish paint. Make sure your channel where your screen slides has weep holes to allow water to escape, maybe that's what caused this in the first place? trapped water.

Old 05-04-2013, 02:18 PM   #13

Dave Sal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dry rot