DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Repair / Replace Deck Railing & Balusters

11K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  wombosi 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I have a relatively cheap pressure treated pine deck and railings. I would like to replace some of the warped balusters which appear to be tacked to the upper and lower 2x4 railings via a strip of some tack board.

What is the best way to remove the old ones and attach replacements? What types of screws/nails? Thanks!

#2 ·
it sounds like the typical PT 2X2s, top is square cut, bottom is usually beveled.
if they're nailed in, pop them out from behind with a hammer. buy new 2X2s, cut to lenght, and nail them back in.
if they're screwed in, unscrew them. simple job.

otherwise i'm not sure what you mean by "strip of some tack board." please post a pic.

#4 ·
the top looks like a sub rail. looks the bottom is the actual railing and they're just nailed in from underneath?

anyway, for whatever you want to replace, if you don't have a sawzall and a good metal blade, just smash them out with a hammer. use a vice grips to pull the nails through. then just toenail the new ones in place. predrill an angled hole, use some galvanized finish nails, a hammer and nail set, or easier, use a coated trim head screw (predrill or the PT will split).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.