Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-18-2009, 05:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Repair of Door with Metal Interference Weatherstrip

Well, the front door just got bumped higher up on the priority list. It does not seal tightly anymore, and some pieces of the metal interference weather strip are completely missing.

I have found one supplier of metal weatherstrip, and one supplier only. It does not help matters that they are 3,000 miles away. Any ideas if there are others? Maybe something in the Northwest? People look at me like I have a learning disability when I tell them I am looking for metal weatherstripping that doesn't use foam or rubber.

Now, I was planning on tackling this door as part of the weatherproofing in preparation for winter, but I made it a higher priority this morning when I discovered a "guest" letting himself back out the front door. Don't get me wrong; this little guy is cute and all, but we'd rather have him stay outdoors.

Weatherproof? My door isn't even snake-proof!

The following pictures will help show the extent of missing and damaged parts. The pictures are all thumbnails, so clicking them will give you a larger view. Take a peak and then feel free to comment. I have no previous experience with this kind of weatherstrip, so I'd love to hear from some people that do.

Hinge side of door.

Hinge side of jamb.

Latch side bottom. A good chunk of wood is missing here.

Top latch side of door. The upper strip is in place and seems undamaged, but the vertical strip on the door is completely gone.

Latch side jamb. The strip here is bent to heck.

So, uh... Help?

KAdams4458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 07:08 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,002

If you don't want to replace the door (missing piece at the bottom is a bit difficult to replace since the door is unpainted), you could remove the old weatherstrip system and replace it with new stuff available easily at any big box or hardware store. Me, I'd take out the old door and frame and put in a new one.

bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 07:08 PM   #3
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

If it were mine, I'd replace the whole thing with a new metal clad insulated door unit. They can be had for less than $200.00 (and up into several hundred $$). It would solve the weatherstrip issue as well as the missing "chunks" of wood, the gap at the threshold.....
Old 09-18-2009, 07:26 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

i agree replace the door
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 08:38 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

I won't argue. To be honest, my wife and I both hate this door. It does not fit the architecture of our house.

Okay. Well, steel doors are out. We want to use a flush door and install doorlites in it to restore some of the original character of the house. Fiberglass could work, as long as I can cut three square holes in it. A wood door would probably be better for doorlites, and I can obtain decent used slabs from the local Habitat for Humanity Re-Store.

I'm a bit apprehensive when it comes to currently available pre-hung doors, because the jambs all seem to be made from the cheapest scrap, and that brick mold I've seen on the big box store doors is less than exciting. Might I be better off using a slab door, and simply replacing the door stop and threshold along with it? I really prefer the look and feel of the current setup over the builder-grade stuff found on every McMansion these days.
KAdams4458 is offline   Reply With Quote