DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Removing window from detached garage HELP

5K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Thurman 
#1 ·
I attempting to remove a window from my datched garage and having a heck of a time removing it. I unscrewed (from the sides) all the screws that I can visibly see. I tried to take a putty knife and chisel and pry it or wiggle it a little but it doesn't seem like it wants to budge. I can't figure out how this is attached. Is there something I am missing??????? Here are some pics of the window.

Thanks
Mike Kelly

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
There is a nailing flange on the outside of the window under the siding. To remove the nails from the flange you will have to remove siding and the J channel around the window. Alternately, take a sawsall and from the inside cut around the window between the window jamb and the framing. Be warned this will pretty much make the window useless.

#3 ·
Looks like an Andersen window
If so, you can cut down the nailing flange (between window frame & rough framing) & then you can order a new nailing flange ($26 maybe)
But to re-install it in the same place you would need to remove the siding etc as stated

If the flange is part of the window then cutting will ruin the window

#4 ·
The window doesn't look damaged so why remove it? Your window, your business though. As stated, the siding, and "J" channel will have to be removed to access the nailing flange. I believe this type window can be removed for future use if you are careful. BUT-what about the window opening after the window is out? Another window? Back to as why you are removing this one. Close this area in? Manufacturers claim the color in vinyl siding is "permanent" but I see faded high dollar vinyl siding often. You will have to remove a large portion of siding on this wall, mix it with new panels to try to make it look like it has never been worked on. Good Luck, David

#6 ·
Thanks guys

Thanks- So the nailing flange is what is keeping it from coming out. I would have never have known that.

Yes the window is cracked. It used to be brown and I painted it white to match the other windows on the house (yes I painted the glass too and was planning on scraping it later). After I painted it, the window stuck. Of course I had a couple of beers and decided to be an idiot and use too much force and I cracked it.

So now I need to either replace it or fix it.

From the feedback you guys gave it looks like I have to remove the J channel. How easy is it to remove that J channel??? Does the main siding to the right and left have to come off too????

I have a feeling this is going to be a project!!!

#8 ·
I would probably remove the small pieces of siding on the left, numbering them as I took them off for replacement. Then you can pull the siding on the right away from the "J" channel and not actually remove it to do the job. The top piece can be pulled away from the "J" channel also without having to remove it, and on the bottom piece you will have to remove the nails (or worse, the staples) for some distance over to the right and let it hang to do the work. The "J" channel can be removed also by removing the nails/staples, mark these as to "top/bottom/left/right" and they should go right back into place, notice how the top is coped in. The nailing flange will be evident when all the vinyl is removed or pulled back. That said--can the bottom sash of the window be removed? Some windows will do this. IF so, then you only need to remove the bottom sash, take it to a reputable glass shop. The should be able to replace the glass even if it is a thermal window. That's how I see it. Good Luck, David

#9 ·
Thank you

WOW-
Thurman- You just did everything but come over and replace the window for me. This step by step description was PERFECT and I think I am going to give it a shot.

Thanks so much to all you guys for your help. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Mike

#10 ·
mjk--Here's the deal: I'm retired, never been to Connecticut (but have been to New Hampshire one Dec. for business). Round trip ticket, offer to crash on couch (I've had my shots), two meals daily, I'll bring my tools, minimum wages, we'll "Get 'er done"! No doubt you can handle this, take your time, think about the next step, and let us know the results. Thanks, David

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.