Removing Weird Sliding Door Frame - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-29-2007, 10:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Removing weird sliding door frame

I'm trying to remove sliding patio doors to install french doors. I've hung a few exterior doors without problems in the past. This one is weird to me, it looks like the frame has a flange around it that was nailed to the 2X4 framing, then covered over with the brick veneer. Can anybody explain this one to me? Should I just rip and tear the frame out, or is there some trick I'm not aware of? Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

bunklash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 10:21 PM   #2
Building and plumbing

Rewards Points: 150

A good set of pics means a lot

Advertisement

USP45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 10:49 PM   #3

The problem is the offending flange is not visible, all a photo would show is a normal looking aluminum sliding door frame. By sliding a putty knife between the frame and the brick veneer on the outside I hit something solid about 2 inches in. Having removed the casing from the inside of the house, I can pull the frame away from the sheetrock and barely see this sheetmetal "flange" that appears to be part of the frame. it is at least 3" wide and runs parrallel to the wall, seems to be fastened to the house's framing.
While doing a search here before I posted, I saw somebody ask if their sliding door frame was "brick molding type, or did it have nailer tabs".
Old 12-29-2007, 11:06 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

The door has a flange that was nailed onto the sheathing for the install. Typical for new construction doors. You will cut the flange off and leave it in place and just remove the visable frame. The new door will be installed following the instructions of the manufacturer concerning a brick fascade.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 11:24 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

Cut the flange off from outside. Remove the caulk or mortar, if any,next to the door frame. Score the flange between the brick veneer and the the door frame with a utility knife several times until it breaks through. Using a sawsall or other saws may rattle the veneer loose.
pavola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 11:40 PM   #6

I did remove the caulk, but can only get a putty knife in between the frame and the brick. How do I get at it to cut it? Should I just bend the frame out away from the brick? Thanks for the help.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:09 AM   #7
remodeling pro

Rewards Points: 500

What you are seeing is the "nailing flange". The best way to remove the old aluminum frame is to cut the flange off with a reciprocating saw from the inside or outside of the door, whichever gives you better access, and just leave it nailed behind the bricks. Depending on how well it was nailed, trying to pry it from behind the bricks almost always results in bricks getting knocked loose.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 12:43 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 75

If you don't mind the possible repairs to the veneer, use the reciprocating saw with a metal cutting blade. Just start your cut slow at first and keep the head of the saw tight against the door frame to reduce kick back and the blade from skipping around. Once the blade cuts through the flange run the saw at a higher rpm and let it run right next to the frame and don't put to much pressure on the cut. A few blades may be needed as you'll be partially cutting brick or mortar if only a putty knife fits in the gap.
pavola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 10:40 AM   #9

Wink

Thank you guys for the help. As I feared, there appears to be no easier way to do this. I guess it won't be so bad if I bend the frame out away from the brick first. I really appreciate the advice about breaking bricks, because that was the first thing I thought of trying.
I'll reply again later to let ya'll know how it went.
This is a great forum, and I am very appreciative of all those who participate to help others. Have a happy new year!
Old 12-30-2007, 11:48 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,000

Since the issue seems to be reaching the flange to cut it away from the frame, you can use a grinder with a metal blade to cut the inner frame close to the flange. Cut the frame all around the sides and top. Remove the frame and you can just cut the flange away from the remaining frame from the inside. This way you can leave the brick alone.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 12:02 PM   #11

Super idea Ron6519, there might even be enough room to get some tin snips in there once I cut away some of the frame. No kidding, you guys are the best....thanks.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:04 PM   #12

Good news! Removed the caulk, used a pry bar, crow bar, and piece of scrap wood to pad the brick and it all came out in 5 minutes. I just found where the nails in the flange were by probing for the most sturdy spots, padded the pry bar and popped it hard. This pulled the flange loose from the nails. I then used a crow bar to pry up the threshold from the center which pulled the bottoms of the side frame away from the wall. From there it was just a yank and a pull and it was all out. Whew, what a relief!
Again thanks to all who shared their valuable experience with me.
Happy new year!

Advertisement