Removing A Tray Ceiling - Difficulty? - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-20-2014, 04:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Removing a tray ceiling - difficulty?

Hi all, I just bought a house, built in '79. There is a tray ceiling in my kitchen and half way to my dining room.. but instead of it being a normal ceiling height with the recess higher, the recess is the normal ceiling height and the tray is dropped down 1.5 ft. the only recess is over the kitchen and its about 3 ft wide and 5 ft long. the entire lowered portion is about 10'x20'. All this is doing is making my kitchen look tiny, taking away any space for cabinets, let alone the over the range microwave I just purchased and making the kitchen look cramped and dark. How difficult is it to make the ceiling one height (normal). I punched a small hole in the wall of the recess and it goes straight through to the attic.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

alextwre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:14 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 524

You will need to remove all the drywall and framing that makes up the drop portion. It is advisable to remove all of the drywall from the ceiling as this will make it easier to repair. Once down, check and repair all framing and re-drywall, finish and paint

Advertisement

danpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:22 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 610

May want to do some more exploring.
There may well be duct work, plumbing, wiring something they where trying to hide.