Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-25-2012, 04:48 PM   #1
jep

Share |

Removing saw dust from cabinet doors

I have a bunch of Spanish cedar plywood kitchen cabinet doors and drawer fronts that have very fine sawdust on them from the cabinet shop. THey're unfinished right now. Before I put the finish on I need to get them cleaned off. I was thinking of starting by vacuuming them and then going to tack cloth. Suggestions?
jep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 04:56 PM   #2
DIY staff

I would use an air hose and then a tack rag---but a vacuum with a soft brush will do the same thing---

I avoid vacuums because a bare hose will leave rub marks and I can never find a brush nozzle ---
jep (08-25-2012)
Old 08-25-2012, 05:03 PM   #3
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by jep View Post
I have a bunch of Spanish cedar plywood kitchen cabinet doors and drawer fronts that have very fine sawdust on them from the cabinet shop. THey're unfinished right now. Before I put the finish on I need to get them cleaned off. I was thinking of starting by vacuuming them and then going to tack cloth. Suggestions?
You could vacuum, and then blow it off with an air hose (if you have a compressor). I wouldn't use an ordinary tack cloth, as it can leave a residue. If a tack cloth is needed use a dry one like this.

cabinetman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cabinetman For This Useful Post:
jep (08-25-2012), oh'mike (08-25-2012)
Old 08-25-2012, 06:04 PM   #4
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetman View Post
You could vacuum, and then blow it off with an air hose (if you have a compressor). I wouldn't use an ordinary tack cloth, as it can leave a residue. If a tack cloth is needed use a dry one like this.
I should have added a qualifier that if using an air hose, to do it some place other than where any finishing will take place. Generally, in a small shop with confined space, the air will get stirred up and keep debris airborne for quite a while. When all that krap settles, it stays light and loose and can get dispersed easily.

So, do stuff like that as far from the working area as possible.

cabinetman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cabinetman For This Useful Post:
jep (08-25-2012)
Old 08-25-2012, 08:21 PM   #5
jep

Maybe it would be worth it to rent a compressor for a day. I could blow them off outdoors and then take them directly into the basement where they'll be finished.
jep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:26 AM   #6
In a little over my head

A shop vac with a brush is a good start. I've had good luck with the micro-fiber tack cloths referenced above. Works good. Wash 'em out and reuse.
ratherbefishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jep View Post
Maybe it would be worth it to rent a compressor for a day. I could blow them off outdoors and then take them directly into the basement where they'll be finished.
would be good justification for buying one ........ gotta get your tools and accessories to be able to perform projects around the home

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:30 PM   #8
Bombastic Idiot

Use an inline water filter with that compressor. A cheap 4" soft bristled paint brush comes in handy. Homemade tack cloth of cheese cloth dipped in diluted what ever your using for finish, really wrung out, and folded into pad leaves a residue compatible with your finish , the residue can collect more dust tho. I've sometimes used a barely water moistened cloth as tack cloth IF I've already raised the grain with damp cloth in earlier sanding process.
notmrjohn is offline   Reply With Quote