Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-21-2011, 11:31 AM   #1

Share |

removing glass with blinds built in from one set of doors and installing them on a different set of doors.

The sizes of the original door match match perfectly but their arrangements require me to just use the glass with blinds built in.

I've removed the inside molding from the new doors with the built in blinds and the screws but can't get it to budge from there.
Do I have to remove the outside molding to get this unit out of the door? If so how do I do that?

Al Polish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 03:16 PM   #2
DIY staff

removing glass with blinds built in from one set of doors and installing them on a different set of doors.

What brand of door?

Old 05-21-2011, 03:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Polish View Post
The sizes of the original door match match perfectly but their arrangements require me to just use the glass with blinds built in.

I've removed the inside molding from the new doors with the built in blinds and the screws but can't get it to budge from there.
Do I have to remove the outside molding to get this unit out of the door? If so how do I do that?
There's probably a sealant around the edges. Remove the exterior flange, lay the door done and slowly cut around the perimeter.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 03:44 PM   #4
A door a day is all I ask

Hi there,
I'm with Ron...
There is probably a very sticky double sided weatherproof tape
holding that exterior moulding in place. Try working at it with
a clean putty knife. Try both the stiff and flexible types and see
which one works the best for you.

TheDoorGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 03:48 PM   #5
Window and Door installer

Once you removed the inside molding, you can spray the glass around the molding with a window cleaner, I prefer a foaming one so it doesn't run down the glass to quickly. Once you've done that you can run a putty knife between the glass and the molding to cut the double sided tape that is there. Push the top of the glass out and grab it on the other side, once you get the top out you should just be able to lift it out of the opening.

If instead of double sided tape, silicon or a putty was used, it's still possible to use this method, but will take a little more elbow grease. You may have to be firm, it's almost certainly tempered glass so you shouldn't have a problem breaking the glass. If you want to make double sure it's tempered you can look for the small tempered insignia etched into the glass in one of the corners, but it's SOP and code to make all door glass tempered so shouldn't be a concern at all. I have seen crazy things though, so better to be safe then sorry!

Sometimes the seal between the panes can get a little tacky if you are in a high heat area and this can stick to the frame as well, you can sometimes cut this with a razor knife from the inside where you already removed the molding.

Good luck!

Last edited by Jkslate; 05-21-2011 at 03:55 PM.
Jkslate is offline   Reply With Quote