DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

remove and reinstall hardie backer

5K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  montpsycho 
#1 ·
I have screwed in 3 panels of hardie backer above my tub (i am going to tile a tub surround)

First intension were to blend the uneven gap between the 1/2 hardie backer board and the 5/8 wall panel with a joint compound of some sort. I feel it would be easier to remove the hardie backer panels and add shims behind them (paint sticks) we will be using kerdi as a waterproof membrane.

the screws which hold the hardie backer in are 1 1/8" long. when i add shims behind them should i replace with longer screws? how does the hardie backer board handle being unscrewed and rescrewed? how to the studs hold up behind the board?

#3 ·
i'm guessing you are referring to the unscrewing and rescrewing of the hardie backer. i have decided it will be best to cut my own shims at 3/16". i plan on using longer screws, but i believe hardi backer screws only come in one length. can i use wonderboard screws? or a different screw all together?

#4 ·
hmm, looks like i may have lied. the current size of the screws is 1 1/4" long. when i went to the store i saw they also sell 1 5/8" hardie backer screws which i bought. i unscrewed the sheets of HB, put up shims on all the studs and rescrewed the HB back with the longer screws with no issues.

tomorrow i put up the kerdi and after that........

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.