Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-15-2009, 08:15 AM   #1
Haste Makes Waste

Share |

Remove Carpeting

I want to remove the carpet from my foyer, steps and 2nd floor hallway.
The question is how to do the eight doorways involved...how do I finish off the edges of the carpet to remain?

The foyer is separated from the living room by a set of double french doors (carpet continues through into the living room which will remain). Not sure how to cut carpet in the doorway area and keep the edge down for the LR carpet. The same issue will apply at the doorway into the kitchen but it is vinyl flooring with a metal strip.

At the stairway landing, there is an wooden screen door and an entry door. The additional five rooms are on the second floor with carpeting in three of the rooms and vinyl flooring in two.

So my question is ... how (and what tool do I use) do I cut the carpet away and keep the edge in place for the remaing carpeted rooms?

Last edited by saggdevil; 09-15-2009 at 08:49 AM.
saggdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 11:20 AM   #2
Tool Geek

Remove Carpeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by saggdevil View Post
..... So my question is ... how (and what tool do I use) do I cut the carpet away and keep the edge in place for the remaing carpeted rooms?
When the carpet was installed, it was installed in sections so there will most likely be a seam in the carpet at the doorways.
I like the hardwood transitions in the doorway between carpeted and wood flooring. The metal transitions are not that attractive

PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:09 PM   #3
Haste Makes Waste

Remove Carpeting

Yes and there is a seam in the doorway. (I assume there is a piece of that wood with nails sticking up on each side of the seam). So if I remove it will the board w/nails hold the remaining edge in place untl the wooden peice to transition is replaced?

Can these wooden transition pieces be purchased at HD or Lowes or does it have to come froma carpet installer?
saggdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 03:07 PM   #4
Tool Geek

Remove Carpeting

1) That 'piece of that wood with nails sticking up' is a tack strip and it holds pretty good

2) the wood transition pieces are called "Overlap Threshold", They are available in a huge selection of profiles, lengths, and wood species from high end local suppliers but not the big Box stores. Their philosophy is that if they can't sell 500 a day, they don't stock it.

Google 'Overlap Threshold' (3,570,000 hits)

note; the pic is from a laminate floor supplier that has a very limited selection
Attached Images

PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote