Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-19-2010, 08:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Remodeling Trailers

I purchased 2 single trailers and put them on one property. I am trying to figure out the best way to do things. From what I have decided some of the lay out will be one trailer will have the kitchen, laundry room, dinning room, bathroom, a room. The other one will have a bathroom, 3 bedrooms and a living room. My family is eventually going to move so I want to do what would best sell it. One issue I am having is that because the lay out of each trailer makes things a little bit difficult.

At the front of the trailers there is a kitchen then living room then room bathroom then a room. The back rooms are the biggest so if there is a master it would be one of those. The argument that has come up with people involved is weather or not to make a master bed and bath if the bathroom is going to be kind of small or should it just be 2 bathrooms and 4 bedrooms. No master bathroom at all. So what would be the best selling point? The rooms aren't going to be huge but they will be big enough for a kid or office space. The back rooms are the biggest but not as big as a normal master. We are occupying one trailer and the other one is being gutted to make the 3 rooms, bathroom and living room.

What would be the best thing for selling?

Lesgarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 08:59 PM   #2

Remodeling Trailers

Are these trailers attached?

Kev05211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 05:04 PM   #3

Remodeling Trailers

Where are you located? What year are they?
My county just adopted an ordinance denying moving permits for trailers over a certain age
banzaitoyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:50 PM   #4

Remodeling Trailers

I Live in a nieghborhood near a militairy base. I am in colorado springs. They are not attatched yet but we plan on doing so. They are on their own land. I plan on putting a foundation to make it real property.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:52 PM   #5

Remodeling Trailers

I forgot to list the years...One is a 71 and the other is older then that. I already got them moved onto the same property. One was pre-exsisting..Its the one I origanlly bought with the land. I'm doing this because my family has gotten bigger.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:12 PM   #6

Remodeling Trailers

What is your experience at this type of remodeling? How do you plan to join them? The structural integrity is in the outer walls of single-wides so any openings you make between the two structures had better be properly supported with headers. You also want to be mindful that they are proberly insulated and roofed where they are joined. As far as resale goes, the more houselike you can make them the better I suppose.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:16 PM   #7

Remodeling Trailers

My parents and uncle are helping me and they have done it before but the arguement is about where things should go. I'm not sure what would be more house like because this is my first home and remodeling. Its my decision but I can't make up my mind.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:28 PM   #8

Remodeling Trailers

I was referring to somthing like building a shell around the two structures so they don't look like two old mobile homes stuck together. Inother words, give it more curb appeal.

A better answer to your question is to suggest you remodel it in the manner that will give it the best flow through. That will require trying to mentally walk through your possible floor plans. For example, you would not want to have to walk through one bedroom to get to another or walk through say a bathroom to get to the kitchen.

The plan that will give it the most open feeling and most efficiant walk through will make it sell best when it is time.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:23 AM   #9

Remodeling Trailers

Lesgarcia the housing market is way down right now so be mindful of what you are doing. I wouldn't want to see anyone burn alot of money and not get it back on a rehab. Would it make more sense to clean them up individually and sell or maybe rent them out? Just a thought.
Kev05211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:11 AM   #10

Remodeling Trailers

Don't plan on reselling this contraption, no one will be able to get a loan
HarknessConst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:49 PM   #11

Remodeling Trailers

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarknessConst View Post
Don't plan on reselling this contraption, no one will be able to get a loan
I've seen domiciles done in such a way that you would not know from looking at them that they were once mobiles. Only if they are done half-assed are they contraptions. People have to work with what they can afford.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:23 PM   #12

Remodeling Trailers

It doesn't really matter what it looks like, no bank will lend on it in the future
HarknessConst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 09:40 PM   #13

Remodeling Trailers

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarknessConst View Post
It doesn't really matter what it looks like, no bank will lend on it in the future
Really? So folks just pay cash for all those mobile homes sitting in lots? Traditional mortgage, maybe not. Loan? Depends on credit score.
Old 12-24-2010, 09:18 AM   #14

Remodeling Trailers

this forum has lots of MH expertise

http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/
forresth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 08:49 PM   #15

Remodeling Trailers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim F View Post
Really? So folks just pay cash for all those mobile homes sitting in lots? Traditional mortgage, maybe not. Loan? Depends on credit score.

Having just sold a 15 year old manufactured home it is no cake walk. And the way banks and lending institutions are right now; trying to deal with them on a "non-conforming" 35 year-old mobile home would be a nightmare. Good luck to the OP

banzaitoyota is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
remodeling, selling, trailer