Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-08-2007, 07:10 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

Remodeling laundry closet

Hi! I'm really hoping someone out there can help me with this problem. We have a small (33x70) laundry closet in the kitchen area that presently has a front load washer and dryer with bi-fold doors. A few months ago I saw a picture in a magazine (which is nowhere to be found) that had replaced the bi-fold doors with lower and recessed upper cabinet doors. When the doors were closed, you had absolutely no idea that this was a laundry cabinet! The lower doors closed the washer and dryer; the upper doors hid a shelf that held laundry items. The present bi-fold doors don't allow the full access to my washer...I can't completely pull out the dispenser drawer; also, I have absolutely no wiggle room between the two appliances...more room doesn't allow me to open the dryer door, which drops down. I put the article away and am afraid it was accidentally tossed! Does anyone have an idea of what I'm talking about? I have a neighbor who is a carpenter and willing to do the work, but it would be so nice to be able to really explain to him what I want. HELP!

bplaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 11:27 AM   #2
Mod / ArchiBuilder

Rewards Points: 250

I am having a hard time picturing what you are explaining, but I will think about it and will post something later!

Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 12:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bplaird View Post
Hi! I'm really hoping someone out there can help me with this problem. We have a small (33x70) laundry closet in the kitchen area that presently has a front load washer and dryer with bi-fold doors. A few months ago I saw a picture in a magazine (which is nowhere to be found) that had replaced the bi-fold doors with lower and recessed upper cabinet doors. When the doors were closed, you had absolutely no idea that this was a laundry cabinet! The lower doors closed the washer and dryer; the upper doors hid a shelf that held laundry items. The present bi-fold doors don't allow the full access to my washer...I can't completely pull out the dispenser drawer; also, I have absolutely no wiggle room between the two appliances...more room doesn't allow me to open the dryer door, which drops down. I put the article away and am afraid it was accidentally tossed! Does anyone have an idea of what I'm talking about? I have a neighbor who is a carpenter and willing to do the work, but it would be so nice to be able to really explain to him what I want. HELP!
I would try and find a good finish carpenter or cabinet maker in your area. They can send someone out and give you a good idea about cost. This would be in the area of custom cabinets so they most probably won't be cheap.
lwmcd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 07:31 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

You remember the name of the magazine? Do a google search for that magazine or call the magazine.
ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 12:38 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

You're looking for full overlay flipper door hinges. Accuride and KV make them You can see them on the Rockler web site.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 05:42 PM   #6
The Carpenta!!!

Rewards Points: 75

You want your doors to look like a set of cabinets, but open up to the laundry room right?
ManMythLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 11:34 AM   #7

I know EXACTLY what you are talking about. I have the same article and a picture of what you are talking about. If there is a way I can get your email address, I will scan and email the picture to you.
Trish
tgoodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 09:35 AM   #8

I found it!!! I knew I still had the article from the magazine because this is what I want to do with my ugly laundry closet with bifold doors. It was it a Southern Living magazine. The date isn't on mine, but I've had the article for at least 2 years. If you go to www.southernliving.com/features you may be able to find it.
Old 04-27-2008, 12:21 PM   #9

I am still trying to track down that picture on the Southern Living website. Has anyone been able to find it on there yet?

Thanks
chswecke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 01:12 PM   #10

If there is a way you can get me your email address...I will scan the article that I cut out of the Southern Living Magazine and email to you. I am in the process of getting quotes so I can have this done to my laundry closet with bi-fold doors as well.

Last edited by tgoodwin; 04-27-2008 at 01:19 PM. Reason: Remove email address.
Old 04-27-2008, 01:18 PM   #11

http://www.southernliving.com/southe...034854,00.html

Please try this link to the article in Southern Living. Good Luck.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:44 PM   #12

A Household Dream Hide Large Appliances
This article is from the March 2005 issue of Southern Living.
http://www.southernliving.com/home-g...0400000009985/

koobklatawa is offline   Reply With Quote