Refinishing Side Tables - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-31-2009, 02:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

refinishing side tables

i have side tables bought from a hotel. they have these fire proof coatings on it. i want to change it birch looking to something cholate looking. donn't know how to go about it. like how to sand , stain and finish. any suggestions.

Advertisement

ritugosain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 09:47 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

refinishing side tables

What is a, "fireproof coating"?
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 11:15 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

refinishing side tables

There are a multitude of spray-on fireproof coatings used in furniture, carpet, wallcovering and drapery in hotels.

I'd suggest avoiding chemical stripping the piece at all costs...Really a lot of intensive work and depending on the quality of the piece of furniture you may do more harm than good.

You can try sanding but by the time you get down to bare wood you may sand right through the veneer that is likely applied to the piece to make it look nice.

I'd suggest picking an inconspicuous spot and sanding lightly with 220 grit sandpaper to rough the surface up. Then apply some dark colored Minwax polyshades, which is a colored polyurethane. More coats makes it even darker, just remember to lightly sand between coats. I say try an inconspicuous spot to ensure that you get a good bond between the poly and the existing coating.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 05:22 AM   #4
Old School

Rewards Points: 75

refinishing side tables

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

You might try to find out which coating was applied. Some are waterbased and must be applied to bare wood. I would prefer to do a chemical stripping in lieu of sanding. Some strippers like Citristrip are waterbased and can be used indoors. They are prerty easy to use and much easier than sanding. MC based strippers (methylene chloride) are very toxic but could work faster than waterbased.

Once down to bare wood, you can apply the stain and finish of your choice.

cabinetman is offline   Reply With Quote