Refinishing Old Cabinets - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-18-2011, 07:32 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 160

Refinishing old Cabinets

Hello, just had the closing on my house yesterday. First project is bathroom and then the kitchen, will be posting a bathroom topic in a few days. I am just writing down a game plan here. The current kitchen cabinets are from the 1960-1970 bottoms doors have arch design, top cabinets have a solid wood design. I would like to use the current cabinets, just refinish them and replace all the doors.
I have a few questions on moving the cabinets. Above the top cabinet is paneling. I have already checked it out. It seems that the paneling above the cabinets is just a wall that was built out. (see example picture, picture resembles what I am talking about found it online) I would like to take out the paneling and the wall? that was built out so I can put crown molding above the cabinets. BUT the cabinets are not mounted to the wall they are mounted to the wall that was built out by 2x4 and covered with paneling, like a over hang... From pictures I have found online this looks like it was common in the 1970s.
Can I remove these cabinet take out the overhang that they were mounted to. Mount the existing cabinets to the wall and put crown molding on top of them or will I have to replace all the cabinets with new to remount them to the wall? Odd thing about these cabinets, they are mounted to the overhang/wall, and there is a gap between the actual kitchen wall and the cabinets, they do not sit flush against the kitchen wall. Please see picture for better explanation. I am not sure what to refer to this overhang/wall that the cabinets are mounted to. Its just all hollow inside.
Attached Thumbnails
Refinishing old Cabinets-cab.jpg  

Advertisement

ryanb4614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:50 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,332

Refinishing old Cabinets

The cabinets can be removed easily enough---as to the soffit--that is just simple box work and can be removed also.

The trouble starts if you find plumbing and electrical inside it.

I suggest you open up a hole or two and see what the soffit is hiding before you make to many plans.

Advertisement

Old 08-18-2011, 08:09 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Refinishing old Cabinets

Plumbing usually occurs in the soffit when there's a bath over the kitchen area. Sometimes, the kitchen vents are run in there if the kitchen design has changed from the original.
Post your photos would be more useful then the example.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 04:57 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 160

Refinishing old Cabinets

Thank you for the response. I think I will be okay. There is no electric running through this. I have not moved in yet, I am about 50 miles away. Construction starts this weekend There is also no vents. I will need to add one...
ryanb4614 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ryanb4614 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (08-18-2011)
Old 08-18-2011, 07:24 PM   #5
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,332

Refinishing old Cabinets

Just a tip on patching in the drywall-----cut back the ceiling 8 to 10 inches all around the soffits to remove the area with tape and mud--if you don't you will have a thick spot that will be difficult to hide.