Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-30-2009, 07:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Refacing kitchen cabinets... need some advice

Sorry, I know this is a DIY forum but I hope I can still get some help on this subject here even though i'm not doing it myself..

I've been getting some estimates for refacing my kitchen cabinets. So far there have been two methods which I am seeing:

1) Front and side of existing boxes use 1/4" veneer wood with a 45 degree mitered edge to join the corners

2) Larger panels (sides) will use 1/4" veneer (sides, etc) but small sections in the fronts (stiles, etc) will use a 3M "peel and stick" product..

Is one better/higher quality than the other? It seems that the veneer panels everywhere is better than the peel and stick product, but not really sure. Also the guy using the peel and stick product said he would use 1/4" plywood? I thought that the veneer should be made with real wood as well?

shortskoolbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 07:13 PM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

veneer is a better job, but cuts are not at a 45. Just look at any cabinet, where will you see that? Seems to me you need to get some other estimates. Both of these guys do not have a clue. where is the plywood being used?

What doors are being used? Is the drawer slides being upgraded? Better hinges? Improved organization via cabinet organizers and pull outs? How will the finishes be done? Is the inside edge of the facefame to be veneered?

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 09:15 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

shorts.:

Not answering all your questions but do a search on "You tube," the title of subject is HOW TO INSTALL VENEER.

best of luck with the project, rredogg
rredogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:09 AM   #4

Thanks, I'll take a look at your suggestions.

Sorry, it may not have been 45 degree but basically the edges of the veneer were mitered so they formed a corner.
shortskoolbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 02:40 PM   #5

Contact the company that I used when we refaced our kitchen they are very knowledgeable and could give you the answer to your question in layman terms, contact Taylor Cabinet Door Company on line site for contact numbers.
water lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 02:50 PM   #6
STB

I checked out the refacing options also. I just redid my kitchen last month and it was cheaper to install new maple cabinets with up graded self-closing door guides etc... Not sure if the people who gave me the refacing quotes were crazy or not, but why not get brand new if it's the same price. Couldn't hurt to check the pricing.
STB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 03:51 PM   #7

How much did you pay for what you got? I got new doors, drawer fronts, drawer boxes complete with slides, doors bored for hinges and the hinges and hinge plates, veneers and end panels, sealant for my drawer boxes, screws for hinges & drawer front attachment screws, contact cement and finish for $1200.00.
water lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 08:43 AM   #8
STB

We spent $10k on custom maple cabinets and totaly redid the kitchen, new granite couter tops and stainless appliances. The total cost was around $18k for the kitchen. The prices I got to reface the builder grade cabinets were around $12k. I thought it was crazy, and i had four different quotes for refacing. For those prices we tore everything out and got a new custom kitchen.
Old 07-03-2009, 08:45 AM   #9
STB

If the cost was $1,200.00 I would have refaced also.
Old 07-03-2009, 02:03 PM   #10

I used Taylor Cabinet Door Company last year when we refaced our kitchen and bathroom cabinets your right they are a great company to work with. Any question I had regarding refacing they answered in terms that I understood and helped me with alot of areas in my kitchen that were problem spots. My daughter is using them right now for her own kitchen remodel project. If you aren't sure go to their web site and check them out, www.taylorcabinetdoor.com, articles are a great source for information too.
G.Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:33 PM   #11

Holy cow. I am researching cabinet refacing and had 2 companies (that I saw at the local home show) come give me a quote on my 9x10 kitchen and they were both well over $10K. One quoted me $14K for laminate doors! The solid wood company was cheaper with a $10K quote but still... I am contemplating ordering the doors from Home Depot and doing it myself, but I havent the foggiest idea of what I am doing...

Water Lily, do you have any pics of your finished refacing project? I'll look into that Taylor Cabinet Door site.
techprincesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 06:34 AM   #12

I bought the fiberfoil doors (lower end line at homedepot) hung em installed em essentially the whole kitchen appliances included for 10K. This included new cork floors and knocking down a wall moving plumbing and doing some electrical.

I know the cabinets saved me a fortune... every 2 months or so homedepot usually have a 15 to 20% off certain lines... save me a ton teh cabinets and hardware only cost me 4400bucks.
brennanfuchs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:13 AM   #13
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortskoolbus View Post
Sorry, I know this is a DIY forum but I hope I can still get some help on this subject here even though i'm not doing it myself..

I've been getting some estimates for refacing my kitchen cabinets. So far there have been two methods which I am seeing:

1) Front and side of existing boxes use 1/4" veneer wood with a 45 degree mitered edge to join the corners

2) Larger panels (sides) will use 1/4" veneer (sides, etc) but small sections in the fronts (stiles, etc) will use a 3M "peel and stick" product..

Is one better/higher quality than the other? It seems that the veneer panels everywhere is better than the peel and stick product, but not really sure. Also the guy using the peel and stick product said he would use 1/4" plywood? I thought that the veneer should be made with real wood as well?

I don't know of any refacers that use 1/4" solid wood veneer. It's common to use 1/4" hardwood veneer faced plywood, up to 1/16" wood veneer, or flexible paper backed wood veneer. Peel and stick has its place, but I don't usually use it.

cabinetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 02:39 PM   #14

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by techprincesse View Post
Holy cow. I am researching cabinet refacing and had 2 companies (that I saw at the local home show) come give me a quote on my 9x10 kitchen and they were both well over $10K. One quoted me $14K for laminate doors! The solid wood company was cheaper with a $10K quote but still... I am contemplating ordering the doors from Home Depot and doing it myself, but I havent the foggiest idea of what I am doing...

Water Lily, do you have any pics of your finished refacing project? I'll look into that Taylor Cabinet Door site.

As you requested I put the photos in my photo album go check them out. You can email me direct if you would like at gentrybarker@aol.com
G.Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 08:44 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by techprincesse View Post

A 9x10 kitchen 14k or even 10k to reface??? Just rip em out and do the whole kitchen over with new cabinets.

organick is offline   Reply With Quote