Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-24-2011, 06:10 PM   #1

Share |

Reducing width of PVC fence gate

I've a three-year old PVC fence. One of the gates is now too tight for the opening between the posts due to frost heave etc... I think it will be easiest (relative term) to reduce the width of the gate than remove posts. See my album for the pictures. THere is no adjustment left using the hinge to make it swing
My question: I assume I just drill out the rivets, cut down the appropriate parts, and rerivet? Any tricks to this?
TIA,
Bob
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:26 PM   #2

you know....looking at those pics, here's what i would try.

i would put some scrap wood blocks, like 4x4's against both posts, on the ground and use a hydraulic jack to slowly widen the area between the bottom of the posts again.

of course remove some earth behind the post that needs to move most to give it some room.

once that is done I would pick up the pavers and dig a deep, wide bottom trence between the two posts and pour concrete in it....then put the pavers back.

so you have a wide bottom block of concrete that should not heave and you have a solid block between the two so they wont be going near each other again.

I really dont think it would take more than an hour to do....but it is about half the work of just digging the damn post up and re-setting, lol (the right way to do it).

dont cut the gate down, you will just have to do it again next year when the post has shifted more.
jcrack_corn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 05:55 AM   #3

Jcrack,
I've tried to do as you suggested but the fencing itself prevents the post from moving any significant amount. If I go to all the effort of removing the pavers and the post (sunk 2' or more into very difficult to dig clag/rock soil, I think dissassembling the gate may be easier. It looks to me that it is held together with rivets and perhaps some screws so it shouldn't (famous last words) be too hard I'm thinking, just tedious.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:04 PM   #4

i have no doubt you can rebuild the gate, I am more worried that the problem will continue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob22 View Post
Jcrack,
I've tried to do as you suggested but the fencing itself prevents the post from moving any significant amount. If I go to all the effort of removing the pavers and the post (sunk 2' or more into very difficult to dig clag/rock soil, I think dissassembling the gate may be easier. It looks to me that it is held together with rivets and perhaps some screws so it shouldn't (famous last words) be too hard I'm thinking, just tedious.
jcrack_corn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 11:28 AM   #5
mem

I agree with jcrack, it won't be easier to just cut down the gate if you have to do it again every year or two. If the posts are moving due to frost heave, they aren't installed properly--below the frost line--and will continue to heave year after year.
mem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 12:13 PM   #6
Tileguy

OK, I'm missing something somewhere.
Quote:
See my album for the pictures.
I see only three porch pictures. And mighty nice porch pictures they are but no gate pictures that I can find.

Apparently jcrack found them.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 12:20 PM   #7
mem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
OK, I'm missing something somewhere.

I see only three porch pictures. And mighty nice porch pictures they are but no gate pictures that I can find.

Apparently jcrack found them.
Hey Bud, the porch is jcrack's. Check bob22's album for the fence gate.
mem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 12:33 PM   #8
Tileguy

Well crap!!!
Old 05-28-2011, 12:36 PM   #9
Tileguy

Dumb ass Bud !!!

It looks like there is still room, why can't the post-hinge be moved? I see the travel has been spent in the existing location but why not relocate the fasteners? Isn't there a wood post inside the plastic post cover?
Old 05-30-2011, 06:53 AM   #10

Bud,
The post hinge is mounted in two pieces: first gets fixed to post and another piece to gate style. Second piece bolts to that and is the actual hinge mechanism (pool gate, self closing type).
It was adjusted as much as possible but gate still hit.
A new gate is $350 and I only need about 1/2" more of clearance. What I did was rip the hinge side of the gate about 7/8" inch, inserted a ripped 2x6 to match the 3 3/4" space, glued with adhesive to the ripped style. Today, caulk any gaps, paint, and hang. Fingers crossed. If it works, fixed for $6.