Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-20-2012, 06:13 PM   #1
Green Hat

Share |

Reclaimed Lumber.......

Hey guys, anyone here have any experience with reclaimed barn lumber?

I have a line on a great deal of it and am considering using it to build false beams for a coffered ceiling look.

The plan is to add crown molding to the false beams and set 4 x 4 drywall panels on the crown to act as a drop ceiling.

What kind of prep do I need to be prepared for? I am assuming that I will need to run them along a table saw to ensure square.......but aside from that, I have no clue.

Also, anyone have any other ideas about how reclaimed barn lumber can be used in the home? I think it will look great regardless of what I do with it.

Thanks!
Mills314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:23 PM   #2
DIY staff

Reclaimed Lumber.......

I've used some to make clocks---I like to belt sand it until all paint is gone--then soak it with wipe on poly--The color will surprise you---often a red/black---
Old 01-20-2012, 07:28 PM   #3
Mod

Reclaimed Lumber.......

Reclaimed lumber can range from absolutely beautiful to absolute junk. Assuming what you have is not rotten, relatively straight and not twisted you certainty could use it to create your false beams.

Drywall cannot span 4’ unsupported. If you want to drop the ceiling then frame in ceiling, drywall that and then add the crown.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:41 PM   #4
Green Hat

Reclaimed Lumber.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
Reclaimed lumber can range from absolutely beautiful to absolute junk. Assuming what you have is not rotten, relatively straight and not twisted you certainty could use it to create your false beams.

Drywall cannot span 4’ unsupported. If you want to drop the ceiling then frame in ceiling, drywall that and then add the crown.
What if I put some backing on the drywall?

The plan was to add a backing to the crown as well, then secure the crown to the backing. Something like a grid pattern is what I am looking for.

I am going to look at the lumber tomorrow. I will be able to get more than enough so hopefully its in good shape.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:52 PM   #5
Green Hat

Reclaimed Lumber.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mills314 View Post
What if I put some backing on the drywall?

The plan was to add a backing to the crown as well, then secure the crown to the backing. Something like a grid pattern is what I am looking for.

I am going to look at the lumber tomorrow. I will be able to get more than enough so hopefully its in good shape.
Actually I guess I could just secure 1/4" drywall to 1/4" plywood and be done with it.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:13 PM   #6

Reclaimed Lumber.......

Just check for and remove nails before running it through your planer.......I know you know that.......just thought I'd throw a reminder out there!
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:14 PM   #7

Reclaimed Lumber.......

I saw a show a few weeks ago where a couple of guys built a built-in bar in a living room, using old barn wood. They also made cabinet doors for the bar out of the same wood.

If you have enough left over, you could easily make picture frames.

gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:37 PM   #8
Mod

Reclaimed Lumber.......

Quote:
Actually I guess I could just secure 1/4" drywall to 1/4" plywood and be done with it.
If you’re going for the droopy saggy look then go for it.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:02 AM   #9
Green Hat

Reclaimed Lumber.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
If you’re going for the droopy saggy look then go for it.
Any suggestions on alternatives?

Needs to be removable.
Old 01-21-2012, 03:01 AM   #10

Reclaimed Lumber.......

Instead of drywall use 3/4" good one side plywood and paint it. Birch paints nicely.
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:31 AM   #11

Reclaimed Lumber.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by mae-ling View Post
Instead of drywall use 3/4" good one side plywood and paint it. Birch paints nicely.
I would do this (or use 3/4" MDF), except it might get pricey depending on how much you have to do. Think about how a drop ceiling with ceiling tiles is made...they have the track the has a lip where the tile sits.....you could recreate that with wood, giving you access to the ceiling and making it removeable.

As far as using reclaimed lumber, the big things to consider are:

moisture: has the wood been outside or is it dried out (I picked up some 100 yr old doug. fir from a barn for a table, but it had been sitting outside in the rain for a couple of days...didn't do anything with it for about 3 weeks.

nails: if you are needing to rip or cut pieces, be sure to pull all nail first. I had something like 20 nails in one 8 ft piece and still cut through a couple by accident.

bugs: hopefully there are no termites or carpenter ants in them, but you might want to inspect this before you put them in your house.
cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:01 AM   #12
Green Hat

Reclaimed Lumber.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by cibula11 View Post
I would do this (or use 3/4" MDF), except it might get pricey depending on how much you have to do. Think about how a drop ceiling with ceiling tiles is made...they have the track the has a lip where the tile sits.....you could recreate that with wood, giving you access to the ceiling and making it removeable.

As far as using reclaimed lumber, the big things to consider are:

moisture: has the wood been outside or is it dried out (I picked up some 100 yr old doug. fir from a barn for a table, but it had been sitting outside in the rain for a couple of days...didn't do anything with it for about 3 weeks.

nails: if you are needing to rip or cut pieces, be sure to pull all nail first. I had something like 20 nails in one 8 ft piece and still cut through a couple by accident.

bugs: hopefully there are no termites or carpenter ants in them, but you might want to inspect this before you put them in your house.
Thats kind of the idea I started with. Hence the crown molding, but your saying actually create a lip with the lumber itself.

I just don't want to get too crazy with this, it needs to be simple.......I am not looking for something out of a mansion, just a rustic bar accent look.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:05 PM   #13
Pro Flooring Installer

Reclaimed Lumber.......

People who make items for craft fairs love barn wood. It brings a good price.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 01:00 PM   #14

Reclaimed Lumber.......

Quote:
Thats kind of the idea I started with. Hence the crown molding, but your saying actually create a lip with the lumber itself.

I just don't want to get too crazy with this, it needs to be simple.......I am not looking for something out of a mansion, just a rustic bar accent look.
If the crown molding way gives you enough "removability" then go with that. I was just giving you an option I had considered when doing something similar.
cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:43 PM   #15
Green Hat

Reclaimed Lumber.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by cibula11 View Post
If the crown molding way gives you enough "removability" then go with that. I was just giving you an option I had considered when doing something similar.
Thanks for the .02 in regards to the plan.

I may just end up doing a mock up of the potential patterns and then decide.

What I would really love to do is have the beams all running the same direction, and find a way to have removable panels that way, however that is going to be a tall order for certain sections as I need to find something that can be used as a paneling that is 14' in length. Thats where the grid pattern layout came from.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mills314 For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (01-22-2012)