DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Reclaimed Lumber.......

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Mills314 
#1 ·
Hey guys, anyone here have any experience with reclaimed barn lumber?

I have a line on a great deal of it and am considering using it to build false beams for a coffered ceiling look.

The plan is to add crown molding to the false beams and set 4 x 4 drywall panels on the crown to act as a drop ceiling.

What kind of prep do I need to be prepared for? I am assuming that I will need to run them along a table saw to ensure square.......but aside from that, I have no clue.

Also, anyone have any other ideas about how reclaimed barn lumber can be used in the home? I think it will look great regardless of what I do with it.

Thanks!

#3 ·
Reclaimed lumber can range from absolutely beautiful to absolute junk. Assuming what you have is not rotten, relatively straight and not twisted you certainty could use it to create your false beams.

Drywall cannot span 4’ unsupported. If you want to drop the ceiling then frame in ceiling, drywall that and then add the crown.

#4 ·
What if I put some backing on the drywall?

The plan was to add a backing to the crown as well, then secure the crown to the backing. Something like a grid pattern is what I am looking for.

I am going to look at the lumber tomorrow. I will be able to get more than enough so hopefully its in good shape.

#11 ·
I would do this (or use 3/4" MDF), except it might get pricey depending on how much you have to do. Think about how a drop ceiling with ceiling tiles is made...they have the track the has a lip where the tile sits.....you could recreate that with wood, giving you access to the ceiling and making it removeable.

As far as using reclaimed lumber, the big things to consider are:

moisture: has the wood been outside or is it dried out (I picked up some 100 yr old doug. fir from a barn for a table, but it had been sitting outside in the rain for a couple of days...didn't do anything with it for about 3 weeks.

nails: if you are needing to rip or cut pieces, be sure to pull all nail first. I had something like 20 nails in one 8 ft piece and still cut through a couple by accident.

bugs: hopefully there are no termites or carpenter ants in them, but you might want to inspect this before you put them in your house.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.