Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-14-2007, 06:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Recessed pull-down attic stair

Recently, I replaced my pull-down attic stair and the attached door. The new one was not as wide as the original (about 4 inches less - I didn't choose it) so I attached 2x4's on both sides to thin the gap (there was still about 1 inch of space total, but the instructions that came with the stair said this space was acceptable).

I have two main problems: the horizontal space between the ceiling and the door, and the vertical space between the ceiling in the door. I screwed up and didn't attach the stair frame (which came with the ladder/door) flush with the ceiling, and so it is recessed into the ceiling about an inch or so. I realized my fault only after I finished installing the stair and closed the door.

How do I fix this? Should I remove the whole thing and put it back flush with the ceiling or is there some way I can cover the space? It was a bit difficult to put it up, and I think I can install some drywall or plywood or something such that it would look okay, but I don't know if that is a good idea. I don't want it to look like I did a sloppy job and gave up halfway through.

BlueTheCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 07:04 PM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Pictures would help....

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 12:15 AM   #3

Right, sorry. I don't have my digital camera with me so I put together some simple sketches in MS Paint.

[The following paragraph is easier to understand if you have the bitmaps open while reading it.]
I don't know how understandable it is. Basically, all the weight of the ladder and door goes through the 2x4's, and the door is flush with the bottom of the 2x4's, so I think of them (the 2x4's) as representing the whole of the ladder/door combo. Before I put the 2x4's in, there was a hole in the ceiling 54.5" x 26.5" (seen as the outer rectangle in the first figure). I put in the two lengths of 2x4 on both of the longer sides, making the opening smaller. The bottoms of the 2x4's were 1.5" above the ceiling (they should have been flush). I then installed the ladder/door combo, attaching it to the 2x4's such that the bottom of the door was flush with the bottom of the 2x4's.

If any further clarification is needed, please say so. I might be able to get photographs tomorrow (Monday).
Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp carpentry5.bmp (18.5 KB, 225 views)
File Type: bmp carpentry6.bmp (10.8 KB, 200 views)
BlueTheCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 05:52 AM   #4

Use firring strips cut to the thickness of the screwup. You will be level with the drywall and now you can install the trim again around your opening. If I hear you right?
localtradesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 05:54 AM   #5

OK.....take the stairs out and do it right.....couple hours and your done....
localtradesman is offline   Reply With Quote