Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-17-2014, 08:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Reattach gate to fence post

One of my double gates has come off the post. The work only lasted a couple years. The guy who did the work apparently used a couple nails at the top, one in the middle, and one at the bottom. It's a big gate-5feet. The other gate is still attached, but it's coming off the post. It seems kind of flimsy to use only nails for these big, heavy gates. Anyway, I'd like to use screws instead of nails. What kind should I use? Any other suggestions on what to use to make gates more sturdy would be appreciated. I've attached photos of the double gates and close ups of both gates.
Attached Thumbnails
Reattach gate to fence post-image-4.jpeg   Reattach gate to fence post-image-3.jpg   Reattach gate to fence post-image-2.jpg   Reattach gate to fence post-image-1.jpg  

martuunis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 09:45 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 488

Take both gates off. Rehang with LONG screws. If you go to big box or tractor supply, they will have a selection of heavy duty galvanized hinges for you to choose from. I would personally go with THREE hingeser side on a fence of that size. Ron

ront02769 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 12:16 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for your input Ron. I will rehang with long galvanized screws. The gates already have hinges on the front side. My pictures were showing the back side of the gates.
martuunis is offline   Reply With Quote