Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-19-2011, 03:41 PM   #1

Share |

Re-purpose or dump?

I held on to some old lumber leftover from a exterior stairs and deck rebuild with the hopes of re-purposing them for little projects in and around the house. I'm a little handy but have no experience with wood and I failed to ask the carpenters/contractors which pieces were best for re-purposing/re-using. I have a feeling I salvaged nothing but crap.

From these photos, https://picasaweb.google.com/1137698...eat=directlink, which pieces should I hold on to and which should I take to the dump?

Thanks in advance

P.S. - The projects I have in mind are shelving unit for the storage room/area in my basement, poor man's temporary flooring for a water prone basement, poor man's tool, wood or garden shed, exterior/outdoor or garage workbench and those cool trending re-purpose projects discovered on pinterest and design blogs.
anuvanoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 04:16 PM   #2
Stuck in the 70's

Re-purpose or dump?

I tend to keep way too much scrap like that, but then we have a place to stack it out of the rain.

It's a judgement call but generally, keep the bigger/longer pieces over the smaller ones.

And realize that once you toss it, you'll find a need for that exact size piece.
Blondesense is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blondesense For This Useful Post:
DangerMouse (12-20-2011)
Old 12-19-2011, 04:36 PM   #3
Stairguy

Re-purpose or dump?

I tend to throw crap like that away. It will likely be a waste of space.
Millertyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 05:08 PM   #4
Master General ReEngineer

Re-purpose or dump?

Ayuh,.... I see a few usable pieces of 2x, 'n a pile of firewood...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:05 PM   #5
retired union carpenter

Send a message via Yahoo to coupe

Re-purpose or dump?

you never know, when you might need a piece of lumber for something? but for myself, I wouldn't even keep the pictures!

as always, just my thoughts!

take what helps? ignore the rest

good luck

coupe/Larry
coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:14 PM   #6

Re-purpose or dump?

Take a shot at building an outdoor worktable with it and see what you end up with. I would not take that stuff inside. Some of it may be pressure treated and you don't want that indoors with you if you can help it.

Basically, if it's not rotten or deteriorating, then you can use it. The question is simply whether it is the right dimensional lumber for your needs. Only you can answer that question.
Ironlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:17 PM   #7

Re-purpose or dump?

I used to keep wood scraps, in case I might need it.

Seems like I never needed what I happened to have.

Now that I have a wood stove it's easy. If it's not painted or glued I burn it. Everything else goes to the landfill.
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:20 PM   #8

Re-purpose or dump?

Tis crap!
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:28 PM   #9

Re-purpose or dump?

Throw it out, and if you find you need something that you threw out, you can come to my garage and take your pick of all the wood I kept because I thought I might need it.

oldhouseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 11:02 PM   #10

Re-purpose or dump?

Wow! Very helpful, thanks everyone!
Old 12-20-2011, 05:09 AM   #11
the Musigician

Re-purpose or dump?

You could give it away on craigslist for free or have a nice little bonfire and toast some marshmallows.

DM
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:43 AM   #12

Re-purpose or dump?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironlight View Post
I would not take that stuff inside. Some of it may be pressure treated and you don't want that indoors with you if you can help it.
Why not take it inside? Why especially pressure treated lumber?
Old 12-20-2011, 10:13 PM   #13

Re-purpose or dump?

I recycle wood. If it's reasonably solid and straight, I'll reuse it. I try to avoid demolition with sledge hammers to keep from splintering it. I also apply the nail rule. Unless a board is going straight into a dumpster (and that never happens because I won't pay for a dumpster to sit for weeks and months) where it can't be stepped on, I pull or hammer down all the nails (and people wonder why my project move like molasses). The makes it easier to reuse the stuff. The picture of boards laying flat look kind of weathered. If it looks like it sat in the weather since I was in high school (before they invented paper) I would pitch it.
mwpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:37 AM   #14

Re-purpose or dump?

I certainly wouldn't listen to all those who say burn it. If you are going to burn P.T. wood, then you might as well hydrate yourself with a glass of laundry detergent too since you obviously don't mind sucking in poisonous chemicals. Then you'll at least have snuggle fresh breath to cover up that burnt chemical stench...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
AGWhitehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 12:36 PM   #15

Re-purpose or dump?

The carpenters/contractors did actually warn me NOT to burn the pressure treated lumber because of the poison.

Thanks for the tip about the nails - I'll be sure to remove them or hammer them down before dumping them.

I think my first project is going to be building a workbench or sawhorse or whatever they're called... I just need something to cut and saw stuff on