Re-hang Old Door - Framing The Casing - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-26-2008, 09:42 AM   #1
Learning by Doing

Rewards Points: 2,000

Re-hang old door - framing the casing

I am restoring an old door that used to hang on the exterior opening for my basement. Currently, a crappy home-made "barn door" hangs in the opening. There is no threshold and only some trim around the door - just enough to keep most of the rain, but hardly any of the wind out.

Where can I find some information about how to build a proper casing for the new/old door so I can have a weather tight opening?

And/or what might you suggest to make sure my end result looks nice and works well.

I can't wait to re-hang the old door, circa 1880s.

Leah

Advertisement

Old 03-30-2008, 08:23 PM   #2
Carpenter

Rewards Points: 10

Do you have any pictures we could see? Sounds like you need a jamb built first before you think about the casing.

Advertisement

CarpenterJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 08:55 PM   #3
Learning by Doing

Door Jamb - Door Casing? I guess I'm a little behind on my carpentry vocab. I'll take some pics tonight and post them.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:20 AM   #4
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Generally, you will have to:

1.) Alter the door for fitment of a new frame with jamb arrangement.

2.) Alter the opening for new fitment of door with the added frame and jamb arrangement.

Which one is more suitable for you?

Either way, you would need to remove the door from the opening and fabricate a jamb frame around it. Attach with hinges, add hardware and weather stripping. Re-install new door arrangement in previous opening.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:12 PM   #5
Carpenter

Rewards Points: 10

Alantic, you're right on what you're saying but you may need to back it down to a more "homeowner friendly" vocabulary. You can confuse somebody not meaning too.
Until we see some pictures we can't really tell you "Exactly" what you need to do, at least I can't.
CarpenterJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 06:32 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpenterJim View Post
Alantic, you're right on what you're saying but you may need to back it down to a more "homeowner friendly" vocabulary. You can confuse somebody not meaning too.
That's all true, but if I were to break-down "every little detail" for "every answer" I write, I'd be at the computer all day, and all night...sometimes providing needless details.

What I prefer to do "sometimes", is to provide an answer to get them on the correct thinking track/correct path. Often, the poster can "fill-in" some of the "blanks". The ones they can't figure out, they usually come back and ask about. That eliminates having alot of needless typing and eye-blurring blather, about what they may already know, or, what they may be able to figure out on their own.

(Example: I mention installing hinges. The average person should be able to do a search on the web for "Door Hinge Installation". Can you imagine writing about "all" the nuances of door hinge installations?)

So, instead of doing a huge amount of writing, an incredibly detailed diatribe (all about doors, door installations, door hinges, door frames, door jambs, door openings, what each part is called, etc).....I initiate with the basic answer: Where they should start at. Often, that get's them into the specific area that they need to look into. Then they can ask the specific questions, after that.

Example: "OK, thanks for your reply, I understand about this, and I understand about that, but what I meant to say, was what about A & B, and how do I make C fit into D."

Voila, specific questions now asked, for either myself, or other members to answer more precisely (which they often do).
An incredibly, overly-detailed instruction-dissertation = unnecessary.

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 04-02-2008 at 06:53 AM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 09:42 AM   #7
Learning by Doing

I've benefited GREATLY from all the help on this site (thanks) and I appreciate the proper vocabulary. I find I get better treatment at my local supply store if I ask for the right item rather than a doohicky to remove a thingy from the whoosiewhatits. Learning new things is one of the best parts of DIY for me!

The one time I had a problem was when I was advised to "repack a valve". Lacking the genetic knowledge on how to do this (must code on the Y) I had a hard time finding specific step-by-step instructions. In the end, I got the best info on the back of the package of valve packing.

I'll post pics of my door problem later today.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:20 AM   #8
BuilderRemodeler

Rewards Points: 75

Wishing you the Best!

I'm Not sure if this would be an option or no - sometimes premade basement access doors are a good option for often very minimal extra investment.
darylbrands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 07:05 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylbrands View Post
...I'm Not sure if this would be an option or no - sometimes premade basement access doors are a good option for often very minimal extra investment.
I had thought of the same thing, but didn't recommend it because of they had stated this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah Frances View Post
I am restoring an old door that used to hang on the exterior opening for my basement. Currently, a crappy home-made "barn door" hangs in the opening.....I can't wait to re-hang the old door, circa 1880s.
I still think daryl's advise is relavant. Exterior doors should have a tight seal, not just for the important sake of weather elements, but also to keep pests and rodents out.

Could the antique door be used elsewhere on the home?

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 04-03-2008 at 07:09 AM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 09:58 AM   #10
Learning by Doing

Check out some pics of the opening, old door, and current door. The old door fits the opening like a glove - I'm surprised but the door and the opening is still square! I'm most concerned about the lack of threshold and how best to hang the door so it will seal well. Do I need to change how the opening is framed? What sort of weather sealing can I add?

http://picasaweb.google.com/lfwade/BackdoorStAubins

Yeah, a pre-made door might work better - I have no doubt there have been some improvements in weather sealing in the past 130 years. But I didn't want a new house. And I don't want a new door. I bought a house built in 1803 with an 1880s 'addition'. I know it comes with some compromises - mostly when it comes to heating - I'm ok with it. I'm keeping the 200 year old windows too. They're so pretty.

Advertisement