Raising The Ceiling In The Living Room Of A Ranch - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-03-2014, 04:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

raising the ceiling in the living room of a ranch

My Father in Law wants to raise the ceiling in his living room to make "half" a cathedral ceiling. The back wall of the room is in the center of the house and that of course will be the high point of the ceiling. Besides sistering in some larger rafters in the cathedral area to allow for insulation and ventilation, are we going to have to put in a ridge beam and make that center wall a load bearing wall? Can I build on top of the center or do the studs need to be continuous? I'm worried about spread loading pushing the opposing wall outward.

Advertisement

barkerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:28 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 672

Are there trusses or was it stick built?

Advertisement

Old 02-03-2014, 06:52 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 672

Taller ceilings look cool but there a pain in the butt to insulate, vent and just add more area that needs to be heated and cooled.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:59 PM   #4

It is stick built. He's thinking of doing a scissor trust. Or at least half of one. Is there any rule as to how far up I can go?
barkerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:37 AM   #5

Did this once but did a vaulted ceiling instead of cathedral. It really seemed to open up the living room and was still easy to insulate. Can't speak for cathedral, but I would think that enough attic bracing would suffice.
Queefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:01 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,052

Either change to the structure will require a building permit, check with your local AHJ. HO Insurance claims denied, time at sale, etc.

Gary

Advertisement

Tags
spread load cathedral