Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-07-2012, 12:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Railing around open stairwell

We live in a typical bungelow with a finished upstairs. We removed the half-wall around the stairwell and want to replace it with an open wooden (poplar) railing. There is a landing at the top of the stairs which turns for two more stairs before you reach the room. I would like to have our railing curve at that turn. We will be putting down a base of poplar that the posts and ballesters will go into rather than directly onto the floor (we have not finished the floor and plan to either put in carpet or cork flooring). This base will follow the lines of the walls; therefore making a square turn where the steps turn for the final two steps. Is it okay to have this base square while the top rail will be curved or will I have to have the top railing square as well?

RParizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:19 PM   #2
Stairguy

Rewards Points: 500

When you say curve are you talking about a a pre made rail part or a custom part? Are you not putting a post in the corner? Are you going to use a gooseneck at landing? Pintop or square top balusters?

Millertyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:31 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

There will be a post at the corner. I have not purchased the balusters yet so not sure of the type I will be using. I was planning to use a pre-made curved railing at the corner in question but after giving it some more thought, I think since the post has a "ball" top, it would not require a curved railing. Instead I may use a gooseneck at the end. Does that make more sense?

Last edited by RParizon; 03-08-2012 at 01:33 PM.
RParizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:16 PM   #4
Stairguy

Rewards Points: 500

They make rail parts for both of those situations. Some die into the post and some go over the top. if you use the right newel you don't even need a rail part to make the transition.
Millertyme is offline   Reply With Quote