Racking My Brain Over Wainscoting Layout - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-02-2014, 09:36 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 16

Racking my brain over wainscoting layout

I am doing a board and batten (actually closer to a flat panel style) wainscoting project in one of the kid's rooms. Issue I am running into is that it's a corner room and two of the walls have windows. The windows are not centered on those walls. For example, one wall is 133 inches and the window sits about 33 inches from the one corner and 64 inches from the other corner.

I've seen pictures where some people just space the wall out as if the window isn't there and if a stile falls off center below the window, so be it. I've seen others were they've tried to center the wainscoting under the window and then space out from there. I was thinking maybe try to make smaller panels on the edges of the wall and then more regular sized panels in the middle to try to get some sort of centering to the windows.

Any suggestions?

Advertisement

TyWebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:22 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 4,924

Do the layout with blue tape---move it around as needed--If you don't,you could end up with a stile offset of the window--could look clumsy--

Advertisement

TyWebb (07-03-2014)
Old 07-02-2014, 08:49 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,356

Even simple graft paper doing a lay out is cheaper then messing up some wood.
A picture is always nice when asking for suggestions.
We can not see what your seeing.
TyWebb (07-03-2014)
Old 07-02-2014, 11:13 PM   #4
Pro

Rewards Points: 75

Do a layout to avoid stupid things like 1/2"-wide strips. Not once will anyone ever notice the symmetry, or balance, or centering, or the other higher-order design decisions. Not once. Ever.
The Following User Says Thank You to CarpenterSFO For This Useful Post:
TyWebb (07-03-2014)
Old 07-03-2014, 08:54 AM   #5

Not sure if this will come through but here's a rough sketch of one of the walls with the off center window. The bottom rail will be a 1x8, the top rail likely a 1x4 or even 1x5 with a chair rail. Stiles will be 1x4s. Trying to keep the panel sizes anywhere from 14 to say 16 inches wide if possible just to try to keep in line with the golden rectangle theory. Trying to keep the wainscoting height around the 36-40 inch height range (can be flexible with this given how the panel layout looks).

The second wall is only 127' (compared to 133') and the distance from the one corner to the window trim is only 23', if that makes sense. Electrical outlets aren't a huge concern as there are 3 total on the two walls and I can easily move them a few inches here or there (have done this before).

Last edited by TyWebb; 07-03-2014 at 08:57 AM.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:15 AM   #6
Don't WANNA do it myself

Rewards Points: 500

Personally, if I had to choose, I'd choose having them evenly spaces over having one centered under the window. Those two big spaces would drive me crazy; it would never look right to me.

Fixing the re-muddling one room at a time...
mnp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mnp13 For This Useful Post:
CarpenterSFO (07-03-2014)
Old 07-03-2014, 10:54 AM   #7

FWIW, that picture isn't to scale. I should have noted that. I get what you are saying and neither panel immediately to the right or the left of the window would be that large! Was just trying to show the placement of the windows on the wall.

My bad. I should have clarified or drawn a better rendition. I am working on some at lunch and maybe I will repost. Thanks.

Last edited by TyWebb; 07-03-2014 at 11:04 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to TyWebb For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (07-03-2014)
Old 07-03-2014, 12:46 PM   #8
Don't WANNA do it myself

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
Do a layout to avoid stupid things like 1/2"-wide strips. Not once will anyone ever notice the symmetry, or balance, or centering, or the other higher-order design decisions. Not once. Ever.
Truthfully, I would disagree with this. It's something I notice immediately. Once you get furniture in there, it breaks up the lines so things are covered so it's less noticeable. However, with nothing in front of the wall, it would be very obvious.

We have lived in our home for seven years, the previous owner did some ridiculous "improvements" that threw off the symmetry of the interior. It bothers me every time I walk down the hall. You'd think I'd be used to it by now!

Fixing the re-muddling one room at a time...
mnp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mnp13 For This Useful Post:
CarpenterSFO (07-03-2014)
Old 07-04-2014, 07:42 PM   #9
recently retired

Rewards Points: 264

With the window where it is I don't see a good solution to keep your panels roughly the same size. With only the one wall to view from the drawing, I might consider doing a shadow box under the window. This would make space on the left is roughly 2x the space on the right. The panels would be close to the same size, 11" and 11 1/2" assuming a 3 1/2" stile.
Keith Mathewson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 07:41 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 77

What about having two panel sizes, say a 24 inch wide panel and a 36 inch wide panel. Then alternate them to come up with a pattern that makes sense and will line up with the window in a way that will make sense. 24 and 36 won't be the right sizes but you get the idea.

Advertisement

eclark is offline   Reply With Quote