Rack Design, Is This Good? - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-05-2009, 10:40 PM   #1
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,020

Rack design, is this good?

This is my first time to design or build something so could you tell me if I'm way off?

This is the start of a server rack I will be building. Most of it is done with 2x4's and the 2x6's are marked with some lines. I'm not done the portion that will actually hold the servers yet as I'm not yet sure how it will work, think it will just be adjustable plywood shelves held by 2x4's or even 2x2's on each side.

I will also be adding more X bracing on the sides, and there will be plywood on top to direct to hot air towards the back top, where I will have some ducting. The sides will probably also be plywood, but think I'll add slide locks like you see in bathroom stalls to make them removable.

The front can't have any X bracing as I need to be able to have full open access so I'm hoping the two 2x6's framing and the small X in the back will add enough strength. I will be using wood screws to put it all together.

Also for the back X, what is the best way to do it? I have two 2x4's that are going right through each other, defying the laws of physics, should I just cut a slot half way on both then insert and screw, or is there a better way?
Attached Images

Advertisement

Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 12:21 AM   #2
Wire Chewer

Added and changed a few things around:

Each slot is 2U, servers would just slide in.

Advertisement

Old 07-09-2009, 04:42 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Good design!!! Post a photograph when you complete it
lilypotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 05:54 PM   #4
Wire Chewer

Good to hear, does it seem structurally sound with no waste/useless supports? I am not quite done as I want to make some kind of cable management section on the back along with a PDU using standard gang boxes and plugs. That part will be fairly easy I think as I know enough electrical to tackle it. May even be bold and go with 20 amp plugs all around (one circuit on each side).

Also I'm aware that wood can expand/shrink depending on conditions, how big is this when dealing with something like this? Is it even significant, or are we talking mm's here? The side supports would be what is supporting the servers (either a rack mount server directly slid on, or a sheet of 1/2 plywood slided in with servers on it).

Still debating on going this design even, I might just make a big shelving unit instead, most of my stuff is not rackmountable anyway. Though this particular design can easily be converted into just shelves by adding and nailing the plywood sheets between the "rails" (blue). It's also very space efficient especially if I later on design my own cases to slide in.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:38 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

You could consider building a plywood box, then mount plywood shelves on drawer slides.
The equipment can then be rolled in and out for servicing!
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:16 PM   #6
Wire Chewer

Hmm I thought of using drawer slides, that could work too. Think I will consider making all my shelves this way.

Advertisement