Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-15-2008, 03:55 PM   #1

Share |

Quotes for staircase

I'm getting ready to talk to someone about building a staircase in my new construction home. I'm just wondering what kind of price range a simple install would be....or even how these jobs are quoted?..

thanks

poolecw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 09:45 PM   #2

Quotes for staircase

I'm no pro on stairs, but I've just build a new set for my porch, and am about to build a much bigger set in my barn.

I know enough to know that if you want a good looking "finished" staircase, you're looking at at least a few thousand dollars. It all depends on how fancy you want to go with materials, the design of the stairway, how long and wide it is, etc...

By "basic install," I assume that means a 36" or 42" wide, straight run up to one floor. Again, anything more than a basic 2X construction staircase will easily be a few thousand dollars. For something "nice," it could easily reach 5K or more.

Stairs are very labor intensive, and material adds of quickly, especially hard wood treads and the balustrade.

You can get a cheaper set made that still look nice, using Fir treads and skirt boards out of 1X. Still, this is a lot of work for something that looks so simple.

I'm sure the contractor would quote the job based on total rise and width (material), and labor estimate. He'll also probably be marking up the material.

Even if you were to do the stairs entirely yourself, I'd bet the material would be pushing $1,000 in the end of the day.

Good luck.
B

Last edited by wombosi; 10-15-2008 at 09:52 PM.
wombosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 10:41 PM   #3

Quotes for staircase

Since this is a DIY site, we're better geared toward assisting you with re-doing the stairs yourself than we are to assisting you with determining a reasonable price. Therefore, contractor-related price estimates are discouraged on this site.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 06:33 AM   #4
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Quotes for staircase

To answer your questions: Find some reputable stair install companies in your region. There are some that will come out to the site, take the measurements, make the stairs at their shop, then come out and install it in a day. Their prices tend to be less, and the work is always very good.

Do your local research, and get quotes. That is how it is done, not on the internet.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote