Quick Way To Make A Spline? - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2013, 04:52 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 161
Rewards Points: 150
Default

Quick way to make a spline?




This guy uses splines to join the rails and stiles.

Is there a shortcut to making the splines, or do you just shave it by trial and error?

Advertisement

pman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:14 PM   #2
Old School
 
Willie T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Posts: 3,634
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Quick way to make a spline?


Quote:
Originally Posted by pman6 View Post


This guy uses splines to join the rails and stiles.

Is there a shortcut to making the splines, or do you just shave it by trial and error?
Just buy a biscuit cutter (joiner) and a big jar of ready made biscuits.

Advertisement

__________________
"True eloquence consists in saying all that is necessary, and only that which is."
François Duc de La Rochefoucauld
Willie T

Last edited by Willie T; 05-02-2013 at 12:20 PM.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:14 PM   #3
Member
 
joed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Welland, Ontario
Posts: 8,386
Rewards Points: 3,566
Blog Entries: 4
Default

Quick way to make a spline?


To make the spline I would just some stock on the table saw.
__________________
Do not PM with questions that can be asked in a forum. I will not respond.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:06 PM   #4
Mold!! Let's kill it!
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,849
Rewards Points: 2,012
Default

Quick way to make a spline?


I agree with the video in that you can make all of the cuts on a table saw. If you make the spines the same thickness as the panel, you can make all of the cuts using the same saw set up. They shouldn't need to be shaved. They should be cut to size. The problem with biscuits for this style door is that the plow cut to accept the panel runs to the end of the stock. The plow would be exposed on the top and bottom of the stiles.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:22 PM   #5
Old School
 
Willie T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Posts: 3,634
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Quick way to make a spline?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintenance 6 View Post
I agree with the video in that you can make all of the cuts on a table saw. If you make the spines the same thickness as the panel, you can make all of the cuts using the same saw set up. They shouldn't need to be shaved. They should be cut to size. The problem with biscuits for this style door is that the plow cut to accept the panel runs to the end of the stock. The plow would be exposed on the top and bottom of the stiles.
Only because this guy ran them all the way through....
__________________
"True eloquence consists in saying all that is necessary, and only that which is."
François Duc de La Rochefoucauld
Willie T
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:25 AM   #6
Mold!! Let's kill it!
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,849
Rewards Points: 2,012
Default

Quick way to make a spline?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
Only because this guy ran them all the way through....
Yes, but even if he'd start and stop the plow short of the ends of the stile, he'd eat up the stock where he'd need to make the biscuit cut. If I were going to biscuit join the stiles and rails, I would do it first, then rout a rabbet to accept the panel and install a stop to keep the panel in place, much like you'd do to install glass. If there is some other way to biscuit join this door frame and trap the panel in it, I would really be interested in it.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:32 AM   #7
Old School
 
Willie T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Posts: 3,634
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Quick way to make a spline?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintenance 6 View Post
Yes, but even if he'd start and stop the plow short of the ends of the stile, he'd eat up the stock where he'd need to make the biscuit cut. If I were going to biscuit join the stiles and rails, I would do it first, then rout a rabbet to accept the panel and install a stop to keep the panel in place, much like you'd do to install glass. If there is some other way to biscuit join this door frame and trap the panel in it, I would really be interested in it.
Nope. I'm also a router person, myself.

Advertisement

__________________
"True eloquence consists in saying all that is necessary, and only that which is."
François Duc de La Rochefoucauld
Willie T
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How do you make a shower base for a oversized shower nateyro Kitchen & Bath Remodeling 4 01-17-2012 10:39 PM
Quick Step perspective flooring dawnparkin545 Flooring 1 06-25-2011 12:51 PM
Best way to make 45 degree mitre jig BobS0327 Carpentry 7 09-22-2010 12:53 AM
Help us make a remodel decision for selling home pleas 3detailer Kitchen & Bath Remodeling 11 04-27-2010 12:36 PM
10x16 eave vent intake - buy or make Rald Roofing/Siding 2 01-29-2010 06:46 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts