Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-21-2009, 11:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Quick Question on concrete board membrane

Well I did my parents bathroom this summer, hung concrete board surrounding the whirlpool, then i did not paint a membrane on the concrete board before i put 6X6 travertine surrounding the whole thing, which was all done properly and such, and then i sealed, grouted, and sealed twice more, then clear caulked along the bottom edge where the travertine met the whirlpool, is it going to be ok? water just beads off of the stone and grout and none of it gets absorbed in but i keep seeing everyone using membrane and it is making me really nervous.

Thanks, zach

zpmontog0947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:06 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

The correct way to have done it would have been to use a paint-on product such as redguard, or an applied membrane such as kerdi before tiling.

The good news is that it is around a whirlpool tub and not in a shower. In a shower you'd have moisture problems in the wall with the way you did it. But the tub walls are much less likely to have water on them very often so I doubt they'll have too much trouble with it.

If you did this install in a shower, it isn't built for long term success. Water will get to the framing and cause mold/rot.

No amount of tile/grout sealer will ever guarantee that you won't get moisture into the backerboard, hence the need for a membrane.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
The correct way to have done it would have been to use a paint-on product such as redguard, or an applied membrane such as kerdi before tiling.

The good news is that it is around a whirlpool tub and not in a shower. In a shower you'd have moisture problems in the wall with the way you did it. But the tub walls are much less likely to have water on them very often so I doubt they'll have too much trouble with it.

If you did this install in a shower, it isn't built for long term success. Water will get to the framing and cause mold/rot.

No amount of tile/grout sealer will ever guarantee that you won't get moisture into the backerboard, hence the need for a membrane.
well it is a tub, and a shower surround, im back at school now and i am really nervous about this now, i used over like 600 dollars worth of travertine stones, it was not like the hardibacker concrete board, it was the hard stuff, i know it wont be an issue right now or in the really near future, but way down the road, is there anything i can do now?
Old 09-22-2009, 03:59 PM   #4

someone help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-22-2009, 04:11 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

No, there's nothing you can do to correct the installation short of demolishing it and starting over. No topical sealer will be equivalent.

Sorry that's not what you want to hear but it is the cold hard truth!
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 07:01 PM   #6

i didnt use just your average sealer, i used premium gold, and sealed the crap out of everything, if water does get in there, i think it will take a really long time for it to do so, i sure hope atleast, now i know fopr next time i guess, thanks for the help kctermite

Tags
shower, tile