Puttying Windows - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-03-2009, 11:16 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Puttying windows

I am new to the DIY forums and was not sure where to post these questions. I need to re-putty around my windows and need to know how far do I have to insert the points to hold in the windows. I bought a putty called Dap window putty. I also need to know what kind of paint do I need to use to paint betweem the windows and the storm windows. Should I use a flat paint or a satin exterior paint? Any help you might be able to give me would be appreciated. Thank you in advance for helping a lady in distress.

Advertisement

Wendy Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 12:22 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Puttying windows

Some glazing points have stops on them, so you just push the points in until they hit the mullion. The little diamond points are inserted so they are below the putty line. If the rest of the panes have a shallow putty profile, pick the glazing point best suited to your setup.
If you strip the old putty and find unpainted wood, prime it first. Install the putty and top coat it with an exterior paint with some sheen, it's easier to clean then a flat paint.
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 01:52 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

Puttying windows

Wendy, there is quite a bit of a learning curve to reglazing windows. It's not as easy or straight forward as it appears. I suggest before you do an online search for proper technique and proper tools to do the job. Even with that, it will take experience to learn how to lay in the putty and have it look good especially at corners. I started to get good at it about the time I finished my windows. Also, the Dap putty will need to dry several days (weeks?) before you try to paint it. Good luck with the project.
Mike in Arkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 01:59 PM   #4
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

Puttying windows

Whether you use push point or glazers points, they should seat far enough that you can putty over them and completely hide them. They should be sunk below the level of the wooden part of the sash on the opposite side of the glass. In other words, the putty edge line on the outside should not extend farther onto the glass than the wood is on the inside. DAP 33 is the old standby in glazing putty. The jamb exposed between the primary window exterior and the storm window should be finished with an exterior paint. Doesn't matter is it's flat or gloss.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote