Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-26-2008, 03:41 PM   #1

Share |

Putting subfloor in my attic

Hello
This is my first post. I am putting subfloor in my attic, it was partically done already by the previous owner, but I need to finish it. How thick should it be and what size nails should I use? I want to use a nail/brad gun. What size air compressor should I use and will a brad gun be enough?
Thanks
Tim

TheDirtyBurger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 04:30 PM   #2
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

your best would be to use 3/4". I have seen 1/2" & 5/8" used. a brad gun would be the wrong choice. why not screws. this way you can remove the sheet with out popping any nails in the ceiling. BOB

buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 05:53 PM   #3
motivator

I second the 3/4" so it won't bow with weight on it and screws are a great idea for removal if ever needed.
Speedball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 09:22 PM   #4

I had a contractor do this to my attic floor last summer. He just brought in 4'x4' sheets of 3/4" plywood and screwed them down with drywall screws, which have deep threads and thin heads that don't need countersinking. It worked fine, and now I can unscrew the pieces easily.
MrBill_DIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 10:57 PM   #5

I would NOT use drywall screws but use construction screws instead,,,torx heads are easiest and most non stripping,,,"I" hate phillips heads,course my hands hates screwing anyway,,,cause of worst one of those 'ritis' brothers,,,aurthur
4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 09:20 AM   #6
Drywall contractor

Gotta agree with the screws just for the sake of not causing drywall problems below from the impact of a nail gun. You'd need to use a framing gun with 6d or 8d headed nails.
Old 11-28-2008, 11:23 AM   #7

use .113 diameter w/ two 3/8 ring shanked nails with pl400 subfloor adhesive. don't want squeaks
chad4290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 03:47 PM   #8

My vote would be 5/8" t/g plywood sheeting screwed down with Robertson (square head) deck screws.[ if the ceiling joists are 16" o/c.- 3/4" ply, if 24" o/c]

Drywall screws are no good for decking, as their fine threads will allow them to pull out.
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 05:37 PM   #9

>>> Drywall screws are no good -- fine threads

I have seen "fine thread drywall screws" for metal studs. But more commonly (where I live) I see "coarse thread drywall screws" for wood studs and these are mighty difficult to pull out of wood.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 06:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
>>> Drywall screws are no good -- fine threads

I have seen "fine thread drywall screws" for metal studs. But more commonly (where I live) I see "coarse thread drywall screws" for wood studs and these are mighty difficult to pull out of wood.
I know what you are saying! I just prefer drywall screws for walls and deck screws for decking!

At risk of hijacking the thread, has anybody ever seen square head drywall screws?
Old 11-28-2008, 08:09 PM   #11

I assumed that the screws I see in my attic floor are drywall screws, but maybe they are actually deck screws. In looking at deck screws, I can hardly tell the difference between coarse thread drywall screws and some deck screws, since they both have thin heads and very deep threads. The threads of coarse thread drywalls are very sharp and allow the screws to go into wood easily with no pre-drilling, and the head seats into the surface so there's no countersinking needed. In spots where I thought the floor needed some a few more screws I added some coarse thread drywall screws because I already had some, and they worked fine. They will not pull out easily because the threads are very wide. But they may not be as strong as deck screws even if they are shaped the same, so I would probably use deck screws if I were doing the job from scratch.
Old 11-28-2008, 09:13 PM   #12

Minimum 5/8" plywood and deck screws (not drywall screws).

Are your ceiling joists sized for use as a floor and not just as a ceiling? I'd be concerned about using the area above as a floor if you don't have adequate framing to support the live and dead loads of a floor. Most ceilings are not sized to do that.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 09:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBill_DIY View Post
I assumed that the screws I see in my attic floor are drywall screws, but maybe they are actually deck screws. In looking at deck screws, I can hardly tell the difference between coarse thread drywall screws and some deck screws, since they both have thin heads and very deep threads. The threads of coarse thread drywalls are very sharp and allow the screws to go into wood easily with no pre-drilling, and the head seats into the surface so there's no countersinking needed. In spots where I thought the floor needed some a few more screws I added some coarse thread drywall screws because I already had some, and they worked fine. They will not pull out easily because the threads are very wide. But they may not be as strong as deck screws even if they are shaped the same, so I would probably use deck screws if I were doing the job from scratch.
When it gets right down to it, the screw length is more important.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:48 PM   #14

I'm wondering if you have insulation in your attic and, if so, is the subfloor compressing it?
gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 06:23 PM   #15

I already had blown-in cellulose insulation in the attic floor, before replacing the thin plywood that was the old attic floor with thicker plywood. So the old blown-in insulation is still in the floor. Also, I had a contractor insulate the attic rafters with fiberglass to reduce the temperature extremes in the attic. I got that idea from a neighbor who did the same, and it seems to have helped since the highest temperature I recorded up there last summer was only 88 degrees.

Tags
attic, brad, compressor, nail, subfloor