DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Carpentry (http://www.diychatroom.com/f14/)
-   -   putting a frame on uneven drywall (http://www.diychatroom.com/f14/putting-frame-uneven-drywall-5134/)

jerry1967 12-01-2006 08:55 AM

putting a frame on uneven drywall
 
I put a attic ladder up but the drywall around the attic door is not even with the frame. Some of it is even but some is not. How do I put a frame around the opening with uneven drywall.

The attic ladder is 22 1/2 by 54 and the sage is in the middle of the 54. the joist sage right in the middle.

redline 12-01-2006 09:04 AM

Is this drywall or plaster and lath?

How much is it off?

majakdragon 12-01-2006 09:07 AM

If the difference in thew drywall and frame is not extreme, you may be able to even it out with drywall compound. Feather a layer of compound by putting the drywall knife on the edge of the frame and fill in (outwards) to the ceiling. A wide knife should make it less noticeable. I am not an expert in this field so watch your post for more ideas.

jerry1967 12-01-2006 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redline (Post 25481)
Is this drywall or plaster and lath?

How much is it off?

It is drywall. The attic ladder is 22 1/2 by 54 and the sage is in the middle of the 54. the joist sage right in the middle.

redline 12-01-2006 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerry1967 (Post 25491)
It is drywall. The attic ladder is 22 1/2 by 54 and the sage is in the middle of the 54. the joist sage right in the middle.


How much is the sag? (1/4, 1/2,3/4,1 inch...)

It sounds like you may want to sister on a a new joist to the two joist that support the ladder.

redline 12-01-2006 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redline (Post 25501)
How much is the sag? (1/4, 1/2,3/4,1 inch...)

It sounds like you may want to sister on a a new joist to the two joist that support the ladder.


I would jack up the sagging joists and then sister on a new joist to add strength to them.

jerry1967 12-01-2006 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redline (Post 25503)
I would jack up the sagging joists and then sister on a new joist to add strength to them.

Ok i like the idea of jacking up the sagging joist but what does sister the new joist mean, adding another two by four to the sagging joist after it is jacked up?

redline 12-03-2006 06:02 PM

Do you know why the joist is sagging?

Is the joist cracked?
Do you have too much wieght sitting on top of the joist?
Is the joist undersized?

To sister another piece of lumber means to attach it to the sagging joist after it is leveled. You can nail it or screw to the older joist.

What is the size of the sagging joist? (2 x 6, 2 x 8, 2 x 10...)

How far does it span? (15, 20, 25 feet...)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:45 AM.