Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-20-2008, 01:50 PM   #1
Kellster

Rewards Points: 77

Purchasing and buying door/ Low ceiliengs

The distance from my basement floor to the joist is 6 feet 7 inches. How do I go about buying a 2 bifold doors and a 1 regular swing door. Everything I see in Home Depot and Lowes is too big? Do they sell doors that sell pre hung doors that small????

Do I definitely need to have a top plate header and cripple studs??? or can I use the ceiling joist as my header?????

Any help you can give me would be great.

mjkpainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 02:38 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Where I'm from the shortest door you can buy (pre hung or not) is 6'6". Any application that requires a shorter door would mean cutting down your slab and hanging it yourself.

As for a header and "cripple studs" (i believe you mean jack studs). they are only required if the wall that the door is in bears any load. However I would still double up the main studs on each side of the door.

DIYJIMBONL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 03:04 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

You can cut down the doors offered at the home improvement places even if they are hollow core and it's better if they don't have a pattern like six panel, etc. Just cut off the amount needed from the bottom then glue a piece of 2x in the bottom cavity and counter sink a screw in from each side. If the doors are luan exterior, then make sure you scribe a line with a sharp utility knife where you are going to cut them as you are cross cutting and luan has a bad tendency to splinter.
bradnailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 03:45 PM   #4
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

You can custom order bifolds in off-sizes, however, the added costs are not even close to being worth it. Based on the heights of the areas you listed, you should be able to cut down standard bi-folds with minimal problems.

Even if you have to remove the bottom of a door, beyond the solid core bottom, and you get into the hollow area, these can be altered for use.

Take the solid bottom (after cutting off) and remove the left over side materials (4 sides) on a table-saw. Essentially, you'd be removeing the 1/8" (or so) of the textured exterior door layer material.
Then take the remaining core and install back into the hollow core section using glue (on the 4 sides) and 1/2" - 3/4" brad nails to hold. It should be a perfect fit, make sure that you keep the nails away from the pre-bored pin holes. Allow glue to dry before doing the full installation. The pre-drilled pin holes in the re-used core, are already lined up to use the door, as it was designed to be installed.

I prefer to finish off the lower cut edge with a palm sander and 100 grit + . You can even use the sander to put a "micro-bevel" on the cut edge, so that this smooths out the edges to a factory look. Use caulking over the brad nail holes. When the door is painted, it's factory-looking-perfection (no one would figure out that it was cut).
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 07:53 AM   #5
Kellster

Rewards Points: 77

Thank you guys so much. This is something I would have never have been able to problem solve on my own.

My wife is going to think I'm Bob Vila.
mjkpainting is offline   Reply With Quote