Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-14-2010, 11:40 AM   #1

Share |

Pull Saw, Dual Saw

Does anyone have experience using a Pull Saw? I've read that they are extremely sharp. I prefer a manual saw whenever possible and since these are inexpensive I was considering picking one up.

While watching an episode of "Pitchmen" I saw the process behind getting the "Twincut Power Saw" on to an infomercial. I'm assuming the contract with the promoters has expired as it is now called the "Omni Dual Saw." They showed a demo of the inventor cutting a car in half. The reviews are great. It seems not to have the binding/kickback issues of other saws. Does anyone have experience with these?

I'm tired of wasting money on power tools that are mediocre and require more body mass behind them than I have. Again, I am a strong but not a heavy woman and some tools aren't safe choices for me.

PCMLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 12:03 PM   #2

Pull Saw, Dual Saw

If no one who owns a dual saw responds try a google search and see how customers review it. When I was at Costco one of these saws (might be a different brand) was for sale. I don't recall the price but with Costco you can return items with no questions asked. Beats paying shipping and handling to an informercial seller.
Since the bldes are carbide tipped and carbide won't hold up to sawing ferous metals, I really can't see this saw can cut steel and iron as they show on TV. Heck, if you hit a nail with a carbide tipped blade on a circular saw, you stand a good chance of chipping that tooth and if you do it often enough the blade is toast.
If you want a great tool that is lightweight and easy to handle, I recommend the Fein Multimaster or if it is too pricey, then one of the multimaster clones. Granted you can't rip a 4x8 sheet of 3/4 inch plywood, but this tool has served me very well in the past. If you need a circular saw, I recommend the Milwauukee 6391, magnesium guide and blade on the left side so you can see what you cut. This is one powerful saw.

retired guy 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 12:54 PM   #3

Pull Saw, Dual Saw

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired guy 60 View Post
If no one who owns a dual saw responds try a google search and see how customers review it. When I was at Costco one of these saws (might be a different brand) was for sale. I don't recall the price but with Costco you can return items with no questions asked. Beats paying shipping and handling to an informercial seller.
Since the bldes are carbide tipped and carbide won't hold up to sawing ferous metals, I really can't see this saw can cut steel and iron as they show on TV. Heck, if you hit a nail with a carbide tipped blade on a circular saw, you stand a good chance of chipping that tooth and if you do it often enough the blade is toast.
If you want a great tool that is lightweight and easy to handle, I recommend the Fein Multimaster or if it is too pricey, then one of the multimaster clones. Granted you can't rip a 4x8 sheet of 3/4 inch plywood, but this tool has served me very well in the past. If you need a circular saw, I recommend the Milwauukee 6391, magnesium guide and blade on the left side so you can see what you cut. This is one powerful saw.
Wow! I was unaware of Fein, the company. Victim of the big box stores. In the short time I just searched the Fein Multimaster Top Plus I found a site offering a 25% off coupon code and no cost for shipping. That would bring the cost down to $300, all inclusive. I certainly have to do my homework but the add ons for this tool seem to offer limitless applications. I would in all cases, prefer to have one quality item, be it a pair of shoes or power tool, than a house full of garbage. This is exactly the kind of tool I'm looking for, pending further research of course. The three year warrantee sure is a good indication of a company that stands behind their product. I just did a bit more research and every single customer rating at every site was the highest possible. There is one site that offers it for $329, with free shipping but otherwise it goes for about $400 everywhere. I'm excited about this one but I won't allow myself to purchase for a few hours. Thanks so much! I'll let you know how much I like it when it arrives!
Old 10-14-2010, 01:14 PM   #4

Pull Saw, Dual Saw

Fein blades are overpriced and you can get high quality aftermarket blades that fit. You can try e-bay. I have dealt with Bargain Blade, (bargainblade.com) and have no complaints. The blades say Versa Tool on them if I remember correctly. Excellent service, excellent blades, reasonable prices. (I don't work there or own stock) Oscillating blades need to be replaced more often than hacksaw blades because the number of teeth are fewer than a hacksaw blade. But the bi metal ones will cut through wood and nails nicely. Good luck.
retired guy 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to retired guy 60 For This Useful Post:
PCMLR (10-14-2010)
Old 10-18-2010, 07:17 AM   #5
Household Handyman

Pull Saw, Dual Saw

Please allow me to say: I operate a "HandyMan" type business and have frequent use of many hand and power tools. I have ran across so many situations where I needed some type of "different" saw to cut into tight places. I finally saw (no pun intended) a commercial for the Fein oscillating blade tool and thought my prayers had been answered. This was about the time that Fein's patent had ran out and all of the other "clones" were starting to hit the market. I did check out the Fein unit, then compared it to a "Dremel" unit at a display in a store. Pricing was a main factor with me. The Fein is a wonderful product, made by a very reputable company for sure. But the Dremel won me over on pricing at that time, and I figured that if that tool bit the dust too early, I would spring for the Fein. The Dremel has been a good tool for me, so far. I have one complaint: This tool gets too hot at times. I have a bad habit of holding it so that I cover some of the air vents and I know that does not help any. These tools are not designed for long term, heavy duty work I know. But for what I do, the Dremel has been a good tool. Just my 2 worth. David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:47 AM   #6

Pull Saw, Dual Saw

I am a hobbyist, and I own a multimaster. It will do things that I absolutely could not have accomplished without it, and major headache! Mine was a gift, but I absolutely love it.

I use it for lots of things, but one of my cheap thrills is cutting outlet holes in drywall!
240sx4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:31 PM   #7

Pull Saw, Dual Saw

I have no affiliation with Fein. Having said that, I simply could not find a criticism other than the cost of blades. As I mentioned above, I found the top of the line model Fein Multimaster FMM 250Q Top Plus Kit for $300 all inclusive. I have wasted so much money over the years on tools that either weren't what they claimed to be, or were too much for me to handle. A Milwaukee orbital jig saw, an excellent product, was too much for me to handle. My brother sure loves it!

I'd like to mention that I picked up a Japanese style pull saw. I intended to purchase the 9.5" dual sided model but it was VERY intimidating. The blade is incredibly thin and sharp, in a category all it's own. Neither like a saw nor a knife. Having said that, I did purchase the 7.25" one sided model for about $12. AMAZING!!!! I had a scrap of 1.25" solid oak, the acid test for any saw in my opinion. I drew a moderate curve on it. I was shocked! The thin blade coupled with it's flexibility make it user friendly and relatively easy to control without any practice. Because it was only a scrap, I followed the line precisely. I'm not sure if the blades can be replaced, but for these results I'd definitely spend the twelve bucks whenever necessary to replace the whole thing.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:42 PM   #8

Pull Saw, Dual Saw

Pull saws come in many shapes and sizes.
I own about 8 of them. They all work excellent, except where there are nails.
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:26 PM   #9

Pull Saw, Dual Saw

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhaslip View Post
Pull saws come in many shapes and sizes.
I own about 8 of them. They all work excellent, except where there are nails.
Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work.

Aristotle