DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Proper framing for sistering joists

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Daniel Holzman 
#1 ·
Dear All, we have a brick, 1920s bungalow that a is 46x19, that has to cuts into some of the joists that are 2" in depth x 24" long on some of the 2x8x8'-7" joists. These are supported at an 8' 1" distance from one of the brick walls by 6x6" beams and columns.

My questions are for proper sintering another 2x8 onto structure.

When sintering do I want to block both ends?

Are the use of joists hangers inaddition to nailling and gluing prior to sintering advisable?

Do I cut into brick pocket to add new sister too? note other end is resting on 6x6 beam.

There is no noticeable floor sag except at opening of stairwell for basement. However, there are some joists I can see that have some twisting or cupping action on them, very slight.
Load on flooring are 3/4 x 6 x X in length boards, these are then covered with 1-1/2" plywood which is covered with new 3/4" x 4" Brazilian cherry flooring.

#2 ·
Hard to even read your post.
Pictures when you have enough post would be great.
Must be a really old house if they used 2 X 8's and 1X subflooring.

#3 ·
Not clear why you are sistering the joists. You state there is no floor sag. You also say some of the joists are slightly twisted. Twisting is perfectly normal for dimensional lumber, and does not indicate structural failure. The exact method of sistering depends on what exactly you are trying to accomplish, so if you can explain it, we can certainly help you evaluate options for installing sistered joists.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.